Spice Bazaar, İstanbul

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Support Pastpin!

Where: Unknown

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
The Spice Bazaar in İstanbul was built in 1660 on the order of Hatice Turhan Sultan by the architect Kazım Ağa as a part of the New Mosque Complex. The bazaar was named “New Bazaar” or “Mother’s Bazaar,” but as its goods and spices mainly came from Egypt it later became known as the “Egyptian Bazaar.” The L shaped building, located right next to the New Mosque, has six entrances. The Egyptian Bazaar suffered two fires in 1691 and 1940. Following these, many of the bazaar’s original characteristics were lost during a period of restoration (1940-1943) and in 1941 it was seperated from the New Mosque by the construction of a road.
SALT Research, Ali Saim Ülgen Archive

Mısır Çarşısı, Yeni Cami Külliyesi’nin bir parçası olarak 1660’ta, Hatice Turhan Sultan tarafından baş mimar Kazım Ağa’ya yaptırılmıştır. O dönemde “Yeni Çarşı” ya da “Valide Çarşısı” olarak anılan yapı, dükkânlarda çoğunlukla Mısır’dan gelen mal ve baharatların satılması nedeniyle 18. yüzyıldan sonra “Mısır Çarşısı” adını alır. Yeni Cami’nin hemen yanında konumlanan L şeklindeki yapının altı kapısı bulunur. 1691 ve 1940’ta iki yangın atlatan çarşı, 1941’deki yol çalışmasıyla Yeni Cami’den ayrılmıştır. 1940-1943 yıllarında geçirdiği restorasyonla özgün niteliklerini büyük ölçüde kaybetmiştir.
SALT Araştırma, Ali Saim Ülgen Arşivi

Info:

Owner: SALTOnline
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 3286
saltaraştırma saltresearch saltonline mısırçarşısı haticeturhansultankazım bazaar mimari architecture eminönü istanbul eminonu

Add Tags