Image from page 448 of "Scoti-Monasticon: the ancient church of Scotland, a history of the cathedrals, conventual foundations, collegiate churches, and hospitals of Scotland" (1874)

Download this image

More from this collection

Support Pastpin!

Where: 20 Watling St, Dumfries DG1 1HF, UK

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1874

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Identifier: scotimonasticona00walc
Title: Scoti-Monasticon: the ancient church of Scotland, a history of the cathedrals, conventual foundations, collegiate churches, and hospitals of Scotland
Year: 1874 (1870s)
Authors: Walcott, Mackenzie E. C. (Mackenzie Edward Charles), 1821-1880
Subjects: Church of Scotland
Publisher: London, Virtue
Contributing Library: Robarts - University of Toronto
Digitizing Sponsor: University of Toronto


View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.


Text Appearing Before Image:


Text Appearing After Image:
(;-;f^;;rr?f if-sjooi/ THE ANCIENT CHURCH OF SCOTLAND. 3+9 1214. Berwick Bridge, founded by William the Lion. In 1306 Adamwas minister. 1260. BRECHrx, founded by Bishop Edward. It stood between the palaceand Lord Panmures house. Bishop Ramsay of Whitherne was a munificentbenefactor in 1362.^ 1271. Cromarty, or Crennack, founded by Patrick Murray. 1271. Dornoch (the bare water), founded by Sir Patrick Murray, after-wards given to the Franciscans, and destroyed in 1570 by the Master ofCaithness and Jye Mackay of Strathnairn.* 1218. DuxBAR, founded by Patrick, Earl of Dunbar, as a recompense toGeorge Cummings, who went in his name to Algiers to redeem captives, incompliance with a desire heard in a dream as if uttered by the earlscousin, who had been slain in battle with the Turks. The property passedto George Home of Friars Lands. The house was burned by the fanatics.* 1283. Dundee, founded by James, Earl of Crawfurd, at the foot of SouthTay Street. The other benefactors were James Scry


Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Info:

Owner: Internet Archive Book Images
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 842
bookidscotimonasticona00walc bookyear1874 bookdecade1870 bookcentury1800 bookauthorwalcottmackenzieecmackenzieedwardcharles18211880 booksubjectchurchofscotland bookpublisherlondonvirtue bookcontributorrobartsuniversityoftoronto booksponsoruniversityoftoronto bookleafnumber448 bookcollectionrobarts bookcollectiontoronto

Add Tags

1 week ago a contributor from Dornoch, United Kingdom suggested this image location is 55.0705, -3.60614

Comment:
Grayfriar's Church Yard, Dumfries