Poor Clare's Carlow Convent Congregation Carefully Congregated!

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Support Pastpin!

Where: Castlecomer Rd, Graigue, Carlow, Ireland

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
This fine Royal sized image from the Lawrence Collection of what appears to be a shiny new Poor Clare Convent in Carlow has a gathering of people in their finery for the photograph! We can probably establish the place with ease but when was it taken and what does the place look like today!

The place looks quite similar today - on StreetView at any rate. StreetView does however confirm that a large church has since been built to the left of the convent house. In fact, Niall McAuley tells us that the church was actually moved to sit next to the convent in the 1920s. While this doesn't help date our photo, the (likely more conventional - if speedy) construction completion-date of the convent building does help. And, there's a pretty good feeling that our image dates close to when the convent was opened; in 1900.


Photographer: Robert French

Collection: Lawrence Photograph Collection

Date: Catalogue range c.1865-1914. Certainly after c.1900 (construction)

NLI Ref: L_ROY_07512

You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie

Info:

Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 8222
robertfrench williamlawrence lawrencecollection lawrencephotographicstudio thelawrencephotographcollection glassnegative nationallibraryofireland poorclaresconvent carlow church house gentlemen ladies finery sunday mass gathering lawn enclosed order convent stannes movingchurch countycarlow poorclares

Add Tags
  • profile
  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 09:16:29

    Streetview shows that a large church has been built at left since this photo.

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 09:28:05

    Actually, a large church was moved here in 1929, according to the DIA. The Church of Ireland Bruen Testimonial was bought and moved! Here it is on the 25", in its previous life as St. Anne's CI church.

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 09:32:11

    From a page with the full story, this relevant detail: In 1893, the enclosed order of the Poor Clares came to Carlow, and moved into a house built on the Wellington Bridge spanning the River Barrow. In 1900, they moved to a purpose-built monastery on a site beside the land where Saint Anne’s would be relocated, and so Saint Clare’s seemed to be an appropriate name for the rebuilt church. So we are in or after 1900.

  • profile

    Inverarra

    • 12/Dec/2017 09:37:23

    Whoever wrote that heading, must have gotten a lot of stars in English class.

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 09:41:12

    The foundation stone was laid in 1899 per this history of the monastery, and was ready for occupation on 22nd July 1900.

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 10:01:02

    From that history: The Nationalist & Leinster Times of July 28th carried a detailed account of the monastery building and all the events of the day I wonder if they sent a photographer?

  • profile

    BeachcomberAustralia

    • 12/Dec/2017 10:54:06

    Via Trove on 16 July 1901 - On the Feast of Our Blessed Lady of Mount Carmel {16 July], St. Clare's Abbey, Carlow Graigue, Ireland, was the scene of the first public reception of postulants into the community of the Poor Clares Collettines who- for the last eight years have been located in the district. trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111082537?searchTerm=c... And a description of the laying of the foundation stone on St Collette's day, 6/3/1899 - trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/104662589 Didn't they build quickly back in the day !

  • profile

    BeachcomberAustralia

    • 12/Dec/2017 11:07:41

    Flickr is sometimes amazing. in 2015 via [https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/] [https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/20903518480/]

  • profile

    swordscookie back and trying to catch up!

    • 12/Dec/2017 15:10:48

    The lady second from the right is wearing a huge book on her head! An early edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica perhaps???

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 12/Dec/2017 15:54:47

    Here in this archive image is the original CI church. It clearly was not just taken down stone by stone and rebuilt at its new location - the stump of a spire at the new location has replaced the original central spire. Likewise here.