Queensland Cement and Lime Company.
A Wickham Terrace landmark since its construction in 1927, Craigston was the city’s first high rise residential building, a symbol of progress in a time of rapid growth and improvement in Brisbane’s CBD.
It was the brainchild of Dr Sydney Fancourt McDonald (the first paediatrician within the UQ Faculty of Medicine), who introduced to Brisbane the concept of a co-operatively owned, multifunction office and residential block, comprising professional chambers on the ground floor and apartments above.
Architect Arnold Conrad of prominent Brisbane firm Atkinson and Conrad designed Craigston in 1926 as the first reinforced concrete framed multistoried building in Brisbane. It was erected in 1927 by builder and engineer Walter Taylor, under the supervision of architect T B F Gargett. The completed building was eight storeys high with a basement car park and rooftop garden accessible by all tenants. (information from the Brisbane Open House website)
Collection reference: 10189 Queensland Cement & Lime Company Limited Photograph Albums
View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/195530
Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/resources/picture-queensland
You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.
Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons