The “Red Vyborger” is one of the largest facilities for the processing of non-ferrous metals and alloys (those that do not contain a significant amount of iron) in Russia today. It was founded in 1857 by a mechanic from the Baltic region by the named of Fedor Gosh. In 1863, the facility was bought by guild merchant K.F. Rosenkrantz, under whom it prospered greatly and gained notoriety abroad as well as within the Russian Empire. In 1872, the factory passed to the brother of K.F. Rosenkrantz, Karl Eduard. Demand grew sharply during the Russo-Turkish war of 1878-88 and the factory bought a large steam engine and produced metal objects of necessity for the war. The factory expanded, bought new machinery, and merged with other similar enterprises in the years leading up to the Russian Revolution. The factory would stop production between December 1917 and the end of 1921. It underwent nationalization in 1918 and obtained its current name in 1922. During the war, most of the factory and its workers were transferred to the Ural region further east, but what remained of the factory continued to churn out things useful for the war, such as mortar barrels and electrical cable (the cable it produced was laid underwater in Lake Ladoga to provide electricity to besieged Leningrad from the Volkhov Hydroelectric plant). This went on during one of the most brutal sieges in history, the Siege of Leningrad, which lasted 872 days and caused the death of approximately 1 million civilians.
This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot.
There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here
The digitized scrapbooks are available here
For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot
Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/
The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping.
For copyright information, click here
Center for Jewish History, NYC