These 14,692 images need to be put on the timeline? Can you help pin their When?

Vinterlandskap i Norge / Winter landscape in Norway
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1920 Sted / Place: Ulsvoldseter i Sel, mot Blåhøi Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: trykt postkort Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07319
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 4704
Tags: winter mountains vinter postcards fjell postkort hytter setre nasjonalbiblioteket vinterlandskap



Navan (An Uaimh), Co. Meath, Ireland
Description: This view of a town from the far side of a river with an imposing church and probably school nearby might interest you. Is it Enniskillen? no it's Navan, Co Meath another Location Identified well done Niall McAuley . Niall also points to the canal lock in the right foreground and identifies it as Metge's Lock. whatsthatpicture James Morley - Tells us that this image has made it into Explore (something that is a magical process based on secret Flickr algorithms!) I also discovered that Flickr Explore uses the strange concept Interestingness Photographer: Unknown Collection: Eason Photographic Collection Date: Circa 1900 - 1939 NLI Ref: EAS 1729 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 42578
Tags: river church lock eason easonson easoncollection glassnegative 20thcentury nationallibraryofireland navan



2015.01(1)
Description: Rear view of an iron made in Deseronto, Ontario, in the 1930s-1940s by the Redi-Heat Electric Company Limited. Image donated by Silvy Embury, January 2015.
Owner: Deseronto Archives
Views: 1700
Tags:



Shipquay Street Derry/Londonderry.
Description: This is one of a stereo pair from the Lawrence Collection. The title is "Low angle railings Civil Building with clock tower and dome, statue with small plinth in front. Lisburn, Co. Antrim. Location Identified - derangedlemur Niall McAuley and sharon.corbet have shown this not to be Lisburn as noted in the title, but actually Derry/Londonderry, Shipquay Street to be precise, well done you three. A little information on the Collection. The Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection was acquired by the National Library with the Lawrence Collection, though it has always been considered a separate collection as the images cover an earlier period than the main Lawrence Collection, are a different format and were not created by the Lawrence firm. The stereographic negatives in the collection were the work of Dublin photographers James Simonton and Frederick Holland Mares and were acquired, probably purchased, by John Fortune Lawrence, a brother of William Mervyn Lawrence. They were printed and marketed by William Lawrence until the popularity of stereos waned in the 1880's. Photographers: Frederick Holland Mares, James Simonton Contributor: John Fortune Lawrence Collection: The Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection Date: Circa 1860 - 1883 NLI Ref: STP_2285 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 25520
Tags: derry townhall diamond walls baxter ferguson statue londonderry strokecity northernireland



Regent Street from Conway Square, Newtownards, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image unknown (image from 1929, Ards Tourist Trophy Race). Date: 1929 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Ards Tourist Trophy Race entering Conway Square, Newtownards, County Down. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D3911/5 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 12215
Tags: car race racecar vintage tourist racing trophy tt merge ulster



Castle Street, Comber, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image unknown (image from 1929, Ards Tourist Trophy Race). Date: 1929 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Castle Street, Comber, County Down - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D3911/16 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 12472
Tags: county car race vintage down tourist racing trophy tt merge



Main Street, Bangor, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image - Herbert Cooper Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Glass Plate Negative Description: Main Street, Bangor, County Down - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1422/A/2/1/6 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 22748
Tags: county street main bangor down merge ulster proni



Donaghadee lighthouse, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image -Robert Welch Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Donaghadee lighthouse, County Down - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1403/2 (No. 19) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 14698
Tags: county lighthouse down lifeboat merge ulster donaghadee rnli proni



Donaghadee Harbour, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image -Robert Welch Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Donaghadee harbour, County Down - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1403/2 (No. 18) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 9269
Tags: county boats harbour down lifeboat merge ulster donaghadee proni



Carrickfergus Castle, County Antrim
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image -Robert Welch Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Carrickfergus Castle, County Antrim - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1403/1 (No. 15) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 13205
Tags: county castle boats harbour merge ulster antrim carrickfergus proni



Bangor Marina, County Down
Description: Creator: Photographer of archive image -Herbert Cooper Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Glass Plate Negative Description: Queen's Parade from Marine Gardens, Bangor, County Down - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1422/A/2/1/3 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 9843
Tags: county marina harbour bangor down merge ulster proni



Barracks, Naas, Co. Kildare
Description: On parade at the Barracks, Nass, Co. Kildare. Horrendous stories from WW1 - in one Comment it is reported that only 45 of 600 returned to Nass after the war, and a story from our own beachcomberaustralia "Thanks also for the Dardanelles centenary reference above. My own Irish Grandfather was with the Munster Fusiliers then; 'luckily' he was wounded not killed, and returned to Ireland to marry my Grandmother - otherwise I would not exist and you would not be reading this ! I think all the comments here are worth a read - if you are interested in the history of WW1 Photographer: Robert French Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection Date: 1865 - 1914 NLI Ref: L_CAB_08211 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 18340
Tags: ireland soldiers ww1 britisharmy barracks militaryhistory glassnegative naas leinster bernell



Street (running over bridge) Athy, Co. Kildare
Description: This idyllic scene is worth looking at as much for the quality of the shot as for the changes in society and transportation it represents! Photographer: Unknown Collection: Eason Photographic Collection Date: Between 1900 and 1939. NLI Ref: EAS_2412 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 17882
Tags: bridge people castle shops cart 20thcentury advertisements eason glassnegative kildare



Carlisle Fort, Crosshaven, Co. Cork with sailing boat. Taken from Camden Fort (in the foreground)
Description: This strange shot is from the Lawrence Collection and is said to be taken on Carlisle Fort in Crosshaven! The wide expanse of water is suitably occupied by the presence of a sailing boat going by! Everyone seems to agree that this photo was taken from Camden fort and that it is a picture of Carlisle Fort across the way, hence the title. guliolopez provides links to some maps he prepared earlier which illustrate all positions needed to understand this photo. oaktree_brian_1976 Tells us that the Boat is a two-masted schooner, and he believes they wouldn't have been used much past the 1910's or 1920's. therefore it is likely the photo was taken in the late 19th Century. Others have suggested 1880's or 1890's. Based on the evidence I am making an executive decision to change the date range to circa 1880 - 1900. John Spooner (a.k.a. The Prophet of Doom) sounds the Sudden Death Klaxon with reference to an article in the Freeman's Journal dated September 7, 1897 about the demise in an accident of a little boy Richard Hayes. abandoned railways Reports that Camden Fort has recently opened for visitors at the weekends, after renovation, and that the venture is being run by volunteers. Photographer: Robert French Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection Date: Circa 1880 - 1900 NLI Ref.: L_ROY_11639 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 21843
Tags: harbour fort camden cork fortification schooner carlisle glassnegative crosshaven robertfrench



Cottage with dog at the gate!
Description: This shot was especially chosen fot the canine lovers among us who have been suffering since the stream went into hibernation! The title of the shot is; "Cottage with dog at the gate" Commissioned by Mrs. Beale, Strancally Castle, Tallow, Co. Wexford. Niall McAuley Believes that Hannah became Mrs. Beale in 1905, per the census, so the photo must be post 1905. Is the Dog a Barbet? Any advance on Barbet? Photographer: A. H. Poole Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date: Circa 1901 - 1954 (Post 1905?) NLI Ref: POOLEWP 1863 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 20711
Tags: strancallycastle cowaterford hannahbeale tallow gatelodge do gates open footman 1911census



Carlisle Circus, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer W. Lawrence Date: c.1890-1900 & 12th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print (the original glass plate negative is held in the National Library of Ireland) Description: Carlisle Circus, Belfast - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): T2418/1/23 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 24782
Tags: street lawrence belfast scene carlislecircus proni



Tyne Bridge and Swing Bridge from Newcastle, 1963
Description: A view of the Tyne Bridge and the Swing Bridge from the Castle Keep, Newcastle upon Tyne, August 1963 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/31921L). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13099
Tags: city bridge roof shadow sky people abstract blur brick industry



262. Vinter i Norge
Description: Dato / Date: postkort utgitt ca. 1930 Sted / Place: Oppland, Valdres, Vang Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07224
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 4734
Tags: winter mountains vinter postcards fjell vang postkort valdres oppland nasjonalbiblioteket



Castle Place, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer W. Lawrence Date: c.1880-1900 & 12th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print (the original glass plate negative is held in the National Library of Ireland) Description: Castle Place, Belfast showing the Bank Buildings - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): T2418/1/265 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 15702
Tags: street vintage lawrence archive belfast merge bankbuildings castleplace proni



Junction of Antrim Road and Cavehill Road, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer A.R. Hogg (archive image) Date: 27th April 1915 & 17th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Junction of the Antrim Road and Cavehill Road, Belfast - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): LA/7/8/HF/4 (No. 249) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 14568
Tags: street vintage archive belfast merge hogg antrimroad proni cavehillroad



Belfast City Hall
Description: Creator: Photographer R. Welch (archive image) Date: c.1914 & 17th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Belfast City Hall - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1403/2 (No. 1) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 14674
Tags: street vintage cityhall archive belfast welch merge proni



Market Street / May Street junction, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer A.R. Hogg Date: 11th February 1915 & 12th December 2014 Original Format: Glass plate negative Description: Junction of May Street and Market Street, Belfast - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): LA/7/8/HF/4 (No. 201) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 13769
Tags: street vintage market may archive belfast ulster proni



Shankill Road Mission, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer unknown (image from the Shankill Road papers, ref: T3322) Date: c.1910 & 12th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print Description: Queue of people boarding a tram outside the Shankill Road Mission - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): T3322/2 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 15171
Tags: road street vintage archive belfast mission ulster shankill proni



Linenhall Library, Belfast
Description: Creator: Photographer unknown (archival image from the Swanston Papers, ref: T1129) Date: 1902 & 12th December 2014 Original Format: Photographic print Description: 'Royal Visit to Belfast', showing Linenhall Library - merged with modern photograph of the same location. PRONI Ref (of archival image): T1129/431 Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 17174
Tags: street vintage library archive belfast ulster linenhall proni



St. John the Evangelist Church - Flinton, 1902
Description: Photo by Byfield Photography in Ottawa, Ontario. Part of the Carol Lessard Collection. Note: All CDHS Flickr content is available for the public use (non-commercial) providing our Rights Statement is followed: pioneer.mazinaw.on.ca/flickr_statement.php
Owner: CDHS
Views: 2914
Tags: ontario church religion catholicchurch congregation romancatholic flinton stjohneevangelistchurch



Ore Chimney Mine Penstock at Slave Lake
Description: This photo taken in 2014, shows the remains of the penstock leading to the powerhouse owned by the Ore Chimney Mine Company. This is located on the O'Donnell Road north of the village of Northbrook. The following information is from The Oxen and the Axe - a publication of the CDHS which is available from the Bookstore at www.cloynepioneermuseum.ca Author: Violet M. Hope The company owned and operated its own power plant at the falls at Slave Lake about 4 miles from the mine. The main dam across the Skootamatta River was approx. 400' long, 18' high and 18' at the base...The system included a canal or raceway, a surge tank, power house, transformer house and a dwelling house for the accommodation of the operator in charge. The penstock (285' long, 7' in diameter) carried the water from the artificial lake (Slave Lake) to the turbines in the power house. Bill Both was in charge and lived there with his family for 18 years and ran the power house with 3 eight hour shifts. The operation of this power house was essential for the very existence of the mine operation and the safety of the underground. The power house began operating in 1920, approximately. ----- The Ore Chimney Mine closed and was flooded due to a failure of this power plant which caused the mine pumps to stop with subsequent evacuation of the mine by the working personnel. It is told that when the pumps failed due to lack of electricity, the men had to climb the emergency ladders and many rushed to the generator site to try to get it up and running as quickly as possible. They failed to do so.
Owner: CDHS
Views: 5290
Tags: electricity powerplant turbine northbrook 1920 goldmine penstock slavelake violethope skootamattariver



Emily Lucas at Kaladar Hotel
Description: Emily Lucas with her oxen in front of the Kaladar Hotel. c1930. Oxen were used quite extensively in the outback of Ontario in the 1800s and early 20th century. They were the staple "work" animals. The Lucas family was prominent south of Kaladar, making the provenance of this photo difficult to document, although several inquiries have been made about Emily.
Owner: CDHS
Views: 3024
Tags: team oxen kaladar emilylucas kaladarhotel



Andrew Kerr
Description: Andrew was a 'Forest Ranger' for the Department of Lands and Forests in Ontario in the late 1940s. He stands here in front of his small summer cabin on the verge of Lake Mazinaw, part of his juristiction. He was a tall, very strong and powerful man. His family lived in the Denbigh area, about 60 Km north of Cloyne, Ontario. The cabin stood straddling the small bit of land between Highway 41 and Mazinaw Lake.
Owner: CDHS
Views: 2530
Tags: andrewkerr forestranger mazinawlake



PC60-85-20
Description: Woman standing in a hotel room, costumed as a Scandinavian. Woman is getting water from a pewter urn on a sideboard, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004223/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 2356
Tags: costumes jessietarboxbeals



PC60-85-22
Description: Woman standing in a Hotel Allerton lobby, costumed as a Gypsy dancer. she stands in profile, and is holding her skirt out, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004223/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 1747
Tags:



PC60-85-18
Description: Woman costumed as a ballerina. She stands in front of a Christmas tree inside the Hotel Allerton, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004223/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 3687
Tags: vintage photo foto christmastree frau weihnachtsbaum



PC60-85-19
Description: Woman standing inside a hotel room, costumed as a Scandinavian, and grasping the base of a candlestick on a dresser. ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004223/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 1531
Tags:



PC60-85-14
Description: Jessie Tarbox Beals (costumed as a nurse) and seven unidentified men costumed as infants and doctors. The "doctor" (left) is taking the pulse of an "infant" who is pretending to cry; Beals is holding a wine bottle up to an "infant's" mouth, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004222/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 7524
Tags: costumes halloween greenwichvillage jessietarboxbeals



PC60-85-15
Description: Eight men and women in costume, including: a Gypsy dancer; a Scandinavian; a ballerina; and a circus strongman. A man behind the group is holding up a poster with a Thanksgiving turkey printed on it. Only his hands are visible, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004222/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 2633
Tags:



PC60-85-13
Description: Thirteen men and women costumed as: the three little pigs; the "big bad" wolf; a cowboy; and a train conductor. A large model ship in on the left side of the room and a piano is on the right. Pennants have been hung close to the walls, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004222/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 2317
Tags:



PC60-85-12
Description: Nine women (some seated, some standing) positioned around a man in a wheelchair (who is looking to his left and smiling at a woman). Five women wear flowers around their necks, one woman holds a pig mask. A large model ship is on the left side of the room and a piano is on the right. Pennants have been hung close to the walls, ca. 1932-1935 Photographer: Jessie Tarbox Beals Catalog Record: id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvgroup1004222/catalog Questions? Ask a Schlesinger Librarian
Owner: Schlesinger Library, RIAS, Harvard University
Views: 6561
Tags: halloween greenwichvillage jessietarboxbeals



Flinton School, Graduation Dance - circa 1954
Description: Young ladies L-R: Shirley (Delyea) Brough, Ida (McLuckie) Brough, Eleanor (Delyea) Fortier, Carol (Burnett) Lessard, Verna (Reavie) Campbell, Linda (Bryden) Forbes. Part of the Carol Lessard Collection. Note: All CDHS Flickr content is available for the public use (non-commercial) providing our Rights Statement is followed: pioneer.mazinaw.on.ca/flickr_statement.php
Owner: CDHS
Views: 4948
Tags: school 1954 forbes campbell lessard burnett brough bryden fortier graduationdance



Description: Bygningen var provisorisk rådhus i Ålesund etter brannen, senere flyttet og brukt som gamlehjem og studenthus. Revet 2010. ivargunnar.blogspot.no/2010/12/raadhuset-i-alesund-rives....
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 6316
Tags:



Haugetun Folkehøyskole, Fredrikstad
Description: Tidligere Haugetun ungdomsskole i Rolvsøy
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 2804
Tags:



The entrance hall of the Laing Art Gallery, about 1916
Description: During the difficult times of the First World War, art shows continued at the Laing Art Gallery and provided a welcome respite for many people. As the war went on, the Government toured several exhibitions around the country to inform and involve people in the war effort. In March 1917, the Gallery showed an exhibition of Canadian Official War Photographs. Soldiers and sailors were admitted at half price, hospital patients got in free, and all profits went to the Canadian War Memorials Fund. This was followed by an exhibition of drawings by Muirhead Bone, sketched on the battlefields of the Western Front. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7999
Tags: door light shadow england sculpture industry glass wall painting stand



Interior of the Shipley Art Gallery
Description: The Shipley Art Gallery was bequeathed to the people of Gateshead following the death of Joseph Shipley, a local solicitor, in 1909. The architect’s plans for the Gallery were submitted to Gateshead for approval in October 1914. With hindsight, it is hard for us to imagine that towns were planning major projects like this during the First World War. However in autumn 1914, the British people were convinced it would be ‘all over by Christmas’. Despite this belief coming to nothing, Gateshead continued to build the Gallery, even travelling down to the House of Lords to appeal against a ban on providing new materials except to the War Effort. The building opened in 1917 and is a testament to local pride and craftsmanship. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10233
Tags: worldwarone worlife1914 twamvenues shipleyartgallery gateshead artgallery paintings sculpture interior blackandwhitephotograph



Children from Sunderland’s School for the Blind with a selection of war souvenirs
Description: When the First World War began Sunderland Museum and Art Gallery had been established for 68 years. The Director in 1914 was the formidable J. A. Charlton Deas who is remembered principally for his pioneering work, started in 1913, with the blind, giving them hands on access to the collection so that they could see with their fingers. Deas was also a pioneer in touring exhibitions and in contemporary recording. In November 1914 he was requested to also take on the role of Supervising Librarian at West Hartlepool, after the librarian there had joined up. One month later West Hartlepool was bombarded by the German Imperial Navy. Although he tried collecting objects from the bombardment ‘there was great demand for them’ and he could not secure any but he was successful in acquiring nearly 100 photographs showing the aftermath, which he used in an exhibition shown in both West Hartlepool and Sunderland. In July 1919 Deas was responsible for organising Sunderland’s impressive Peace Parade. It included elaborate floats representing the countries of our allies as well as contingents of the armed forces and civilian organisations that took part. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 28777
Tags: wood boy blur feet wool glass smile birds metal shirt



St Nicholas Cathedral, 1956
Description: View along St Nicholas Street towards the Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne, October 1956 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/16600). You can see an aerial view of this area dating from 1963 in another of our Flickr sets www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/15417718862/in/set-7215762.... Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13138
Tags: road street roof shadow chimney sky people cloud sunlight abstract



Haymarket, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1956
Description: View of Haymarket and St Thomas Church, Newcastle upon Tyne, January 1956 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/15068). You can see an aerial view of this area dating from 1948 in another of our sets www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/15152764617/in/set-7215762.... Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13990
Tags: buses 1950s haymarket newcastleupontyne southafricanwarmemorial barrasbridge stthomaschurchnewcastle



Grey's Monument, 1955
Description: View along Grey Street towards Grey's Monument, Newcastle upon Tyne, October 1955 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/14539C). You can see an aerial view of this area from 1963 in another of our sets www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/15408514332/in/set-7215762.... Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 14996
Tags: road door windows roof shadow chimney sky people sunlight abstract



Eldon Buildings, Blackett Street, 1950
Description: View of Turners photographic studio and shop, Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, February 1950 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/4175). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8928
Tags: 1950s newcastleupontyne blackettstreet turnersphotography eldonbuildings eldongrill



Newcastle upon Tyne Quayside, 1950
Description: Aerial view of the Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, March 1950 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/4402). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 9498
Tags: aerialviews tynebridge newcastleupontyne rivertyne aerialphotographs newcastlequayside allsaintschurchnewcastle stmaryschurchgateshead newcastleupontyneguildhall



New Town
Description: Design by L. Le Breton; Lithograph by P. Blanchard Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 4032
Tags: tasmania expeditions sabatier vandiemensland dumontdurville frenchexplorers hobarttown tasmanianarchivesandheritageoffice wlcrowtherlibrary 18371840



Hobart Town
Description: Lithograph by Mayer, A. fl. 1841 Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 3419
Tags: tasmania expeditions sabatier vandiemensland dumontdurville frenchexplorers hobarttown tasmanianarchivesandheritageoffice wlcrowtherlibrary 18371840



Bridgewater
Description: Lithograph by Leon Jean Baptiste Sabatier Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: W.L. Crowther Library Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 4339
Tags: tasmania expeditions sabatier vandiemensland dumontdurville frenchexplorers hobarttown tasmanianarchivesandheritageoffice wlcrowtherlibrary 18371840



St David's Park, Hobart
Description: Postcard Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office: WC1919/05/22 p18 Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2613
Tags: parks gazebo tasmania hobart stdavidspark tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Burial Ground 1923
Description: Curzona Frances Louise Allport (1860-1949), oil on wood ; 32 x 41 cm Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2759
Tags: cemeteries graveyard graves tasmania hobart oilpaintings allport stdavidscemetery tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice tasmanianartists



Down Davey Street 1920s/30s
Description: View of Hobart from telephone exchange building, down Davey Street- shows St David's Park and city around wharf areas Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office: WC1919/05/22 p18 Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2653
Tags: tasmania stdavidspark hobarttown tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Park - Hobart under snow circa 1951-1973
Description: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office: WC1919/05/22 p18 Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 4773
Tags: snow parks tasmania hobart stdavidspark tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Cemetery
Description: Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2845
Tags: cemeteries graveyard tasmania hobart tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Cemetery
Description: Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2440
Tags: tasmania hobart tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Cemetery
Description: Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2707
Tags: cemeteries graveyard tasmania hobart tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Cemetery
Description: Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 2610
Tags: cemeteries demolition tasmania hobart tombstones tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



St David's Cemetery / John Skinner Prout
Description: Pencil and white body colour on tinted paper ; 20 x 29 cm Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library & Museum of Fine Arts Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 4600
Tags: cemeteries graveyard tasmania hobart monuments tasmanianarchiveandheritageoffice



Tezaur Fotografic Românesc, Bucharest Photo Week
Description: www.facebook.com/events/566117230154405/ www.bucharestphotoweek.ro/#bun-venit 05–11.09.2014, Muzeul Țăranului Român, sala Acvariu
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 4033
Tags: bunvenit



LOLTA Board of Directors 1964-1965
Description: This was the new Land O' Lakes Tourist Association Board of Directors for 1964-65. Jeanette Whitfield is front row-centre and became the General Manager. Other identified members are: John Savigny- Savigny Real Estate: Cloyne (back row, 3rd from left). Don Clarke- Don Clarke Bus Lines: Denbigh (back row, 6th from left). Looking for help identifying the others!
Owner: CDHS
Views: 4029
Tags: board 1964 1965 boardofdirectors landolakes lolta donclarke jimarbuckle landofthelakes landolakestouristassociation



Vinterlandskap i Norge / Winter landscape in Norway
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1920 Sted / Place: Ulsvoldseter i Sel, mot Blåhøi Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: trykt postkort Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07316
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3607
Tags: winter mountains vinter hütte norwegen postcards fjell postkort koloriert hytter



Viul bro i vinterlandskap / Viul bridge in winter landscape
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1920 Sted / Place: Viul bru over Randselva, Ringerike Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: trykt postkort Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07239
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3213
Tags: winter vinter bridges postcards broer postkort bruer nasjonalbiblioteket vinterlandskap andersbeerwilse



Viul bro i vinterlandskap / Viul bridge in winter landscape
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1920 Sted / Place: Viul bru over Randselva, Ringerike Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: trykt postkort Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07237
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 2985
Tags: winter vinter bridges postcards broer postkort bruer nasjonalbiblioteket vinterlandskap andersbeerwilse



2015.01(2)
Description: Rear view of an iron made in Deseronto, Ontario, in the 1930s-1940s by the Redi-Heat Electric Company Limited. Image donated by Silvy Embury, January 2015.
Owner: Deseronto Archives
Views: 1209
Tags:



2015.01(3)
Description: Side view of an iron made in Deseronto, Ontario, in the 1930s-1940s by the Redi-Heat Electric Company Limited. Image donated by Silvy Embury, January 2015.
Owner: Deseronto Archives
Views: 1141
Tags:



2015.01(4)
Description: Front view of an iron made in Deseronto, Ontario, in the 1930s-1940s by the Redi-Heat Electric Company Limited. Image donated by Silvy Embury, January 2015.
Owner: Deseronto Archives
Views: 1293
Tags:



2015.01(5)
Description: Rear view of an iron made in Deseronto, Ontario, in the 1930s-1940s by the Redi-Heat Electric Company Limited. Image donated by Silvy Embury, January 2015.
Owner: Deseronto Archives
Views: 1244
Tags:



Main Street, Wexford.
Description: This fine shot of Main Street in Wexford is well worth an airing! Photographer: Robert French Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection Date: Circa 1865 - 1914 NLI Ref: L_ROY_04771 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 29606
Tags: ireland men mainstreet wexford loitering glassnegative robertfrench williamlawrence nationallibraryofireland lawrencecollection



North Gate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim
Description: Creator: R. Welch Date: c.1910 & 23rd January 2015 Original Format: Photographic print Description: North Gate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. PRONI Ref (of archival image): D1403/1 (No. 19) Copying and copyright: Please see www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/copying_... For Copy Orders, contact: Email: [email protected] For fees and charges see: www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/are_there_any_fees_and...
Owner: Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
Views: 10407
Tags: county gate arch north merge ulster antrim carrickfergus proni



ca_20150106_004
Description: Școala de moto-cultură Seceleanu 1940
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 6479
Tags: tractor rou hanomag glassplate românia ialomita hanomagtractor costicăacsintearchive 20150106 hanomag3dieseltractor



Vinter i Norge
Description: Dato / Date: postkort utgitt ca. 1930 Sted / Place: Møre og Romsdal, Rauma, Vengedalen Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Wilse Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07192
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 5251
Tags: trees winter snow mountains vinter postcards rauma fjell møreogromsdal postkort



376. Vinter i Norge
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1930 Sted / Place: Oppland, Lom, Memurubu (turisthytte) Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07185
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3702
Tags: winter mountains vinter postcards fjell lom postkort oppland memurubu nasjonalbiblioteket



378. Vinter i Norge
Description: Dato / Date: utgitt ca. 1930 Sted / Place: Oppland, Lom, Galdhøpiggen Fotograf / Photographer: Anders Beer Wilse (1865-1949) Utgiver / Publisher: Mittet & Co. Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07184
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 4299
Tags: winter mountains vinter postcards fjell lom postkort galdhøpiggen oppland nasjonalbiblioteket



Northbrook Ontario Fire. 1941
Description: The Northbrook fire of 1941 In 1941 there was a massive fire in Northbrook which took out several homes on the east side of the highway [Hwy 41] roughly across from the Northbrook Hotel and the cemetery. The following is a description of the incident by John Bolton as transcribed by his wife Elaine in October 2014. ******************** It has on occasion been called “the great fire”. It started in a propane refrigerator in magistrate Jack Lloyd’s house on the east side of Highway 41. The house stood approximately where the current Cod Fathers restaurant is today. Houses and businesses on that side of the street were flattened in the inferno. It was stopped just south of Jim and Kate Vogan’s house [shown in the (2nd) picture]. There was this stiff westerly breeze that day to fan the flames [note the Pines near Vogan’s are leaning eastward]. Furniture saved from homes and businesses was piled across the highway (See 2nd picture) [note lubrication drama from the G.W. Wood garage]. As much as we can ascertain, the woman standing amid the furniture was a Doreen Wood [Hawes], daughter of Gordon and Mabel Wood. Photos are from Violet Thibeault and info was gained from conversation with Mary Lloyd Johnson and later, May Thompson.
Owner: CDHS
Views: 5721
Tags: johnbolton vogan hwy41 gordonwood doreenwood maythompson jacklloyd gwwoodgarage marylloydjohnson northbrookfire1941



ca_20141112_004
Description: Botez (Parintele Negoita Ioan, probabil in perioada slujirii la Cosambesti, alaturi de fiica sa - Mariana (fetita din stanga parintelui). 1939
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 3915
Tags: rou glassplate românia ialomita 20141112 costicăacsintearchive



Bridge Over O'Donnell Road at Slave Lake - circa 1922
Description: The O'Donnell Road is located north of Northbrook and leads past the site of the former power house used for generating electricity for the Ore Chimney Mine Company in the 1920s. The obscure bridge over the penstock bears the date 1922 in the concrete which is still evident in this photo. A more complete history can be seen in Penstock photo and in the Oxen and the Axe - a publication of the CDHS available from the online Bookstore: www.cloynepioneermuseum.ca
Owner: CDHS
Views: 3399
Tags: bridge gold 1922 northbrook penstock odonnellroad orechimneymine orechimneyminingcompany



ca_20141107_000
Description: 2 imagini: portrete, Amara
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 4235
Tags: rou glassplate românia ialomita costicăacsintearchive 20141107



ca_20141107_000
Description: 2 imagini: portrete, Amara
Owner: Costică Acsinte Archive
Views: 5355
Tags: rou glassplate românia ialomita costicăacsintearchive 20141107



Stålberget, Hadsel kommune i Nordland.
Description:
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3821
Tags:



Luster i Sogn.
Description: Den flotte villaen står fortsatt. I det store huset på kaia var det butikk, post, godsekspedisjon og husvære på loftet, revet.
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3768
Tags:



Veblungsnes i Romsdal
Description:
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3652
Tags:



Rabbinical School Vacquelire Street Paris
Description: Rabbinical School, Vauquelire Street – Paris. The Séminaire Israélite de France (also referred to as the École Rabbinique) has been training rabbis since 1829. Though founded in Metz, the school was transferred to Paris by imperial decree in 1859, and relocated to the the Latin Quarter at 9 Rue Vauquelire in 1881. The educational focus of the institution aims to imbue students with a knowledge of general culture and philosophy in addition to Torah. When the Nazis seized Paris the operations of the school were temporarily transferred to Lyon where they were able to continue for a brief period before the functioning of the school was driven underground. After the end of the Second World War the institution reconstituted itself and continues to function – still at 9 Rue Vauquelire – to this day. The Séminaire is known for having one of the largest and most important Judaic libraries in Paris – and all of France – the presence of the institute’s book stamp amongst the books in the Offenbach depot is a reminder of a time when the library was almost destroyed. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 6497
Tags:



Rabbinical School Vauquelire Street Paris
Description: Rabbinical School, Vauquelire Street – Paris. The Séminaire Israélite de France (also referred to as the École Rabbinique) has been training rabbis since 1829. Though founded in Metz, the school was transferred to Paris by imperial decree in 1859, and relocated to the the Latin Quarter at 9 Rue Vauquelire in 1881. The educational focus of the institution aims to imbue students with a knowledge of general culture and philosophy in addition to Torah. When the Nazis seized Paris the operations of the school were temporarily transferred to Lyon where they were able to continue for a brief period before the functioning of the school was driven underground. After the end of the Second World War the institution reconstituted itself and continues to function – still at 9 Rue Vauquelire – to this day. The Séminaire is known for having one of the largest and most important Judaic libraries in Paris – and all of France – the presence of the institute’s book stamp amongst the books in the Offenbach depot is a reminder of a time when the library was almost destroyed. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 5428
Tags:



Student Library Reading Room fo the Kiev Polytechnic Institute
Description: Student Library-reading room of the Kiev Polytechnic Institute. Founded in 1898 with the support of the originator of the Periodic Table of Elements, Dmitri Mendeleev, among others, the Kiev Polytechnic Institute is currently the largest university in Ukraine. The Institute was evacuated to Tashkent in modern-day Uzbekistan in July 1941 in anticipation of the Nazi takeover of Kiev. It enjoyed a steady growth in enrollment and in the variety of courses offered over the years. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 6182
Tags:



Oslo. Utsikt fra Sjömandsskolen
Description: Beskrivelse / Description: Utsikt fra Sjømannsskolen, Kongsveien 30. Dato / Date: ukjent / unknown Sted / Place: Oslo Fotograf / Photographer: ukjent / unknown Utgiver / Publisher: ukjent / unknown Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_07042
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 5153
Tags: oslo postcards postkort sjømannsskolen nasjonalbiblioteket bylandskap nationallibraryofnorway kongsveien30



Ole Steens gate, Drammen.
Description:
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 2971
Tags:



Tangen ved Tønsberg
Description:
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 2894
Tags:



Hemsedal kirke
Description:
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3355
Tags: church hemsedal kirke



Hjelme gamle kirke
Description: Hjelme gamle kirke fra 1875 i Øygarden kommune, Hordaland fylke.
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 3100
Tags:



Swan Hunters staff institute as seen from the bottom of Swans Bank, around  1914
Description: The site of Segedunum Roman Fort was completely covered with buildings and streets during the First World War however academics did know of the existence of the fort and emergency archaeology had been carried out. The building that is now used as offices for museum staff was erected in 1914 as a staff institute for Swan Hunters workers. It contained a dining room, kitchen, stores, gymnasium, library, billiard table and a rest room and when a roll of honour was produced in October 1915 to honour the men from Swan Hunters who had given their lives in the War it was placed in the staff institute. The site of the current shop and café was occupied by a shooting range. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 13991
Tags: street door roof chimney sky house abstract man men brick



Vue Generale D'Hobart Town
Description: Design by L. Le Breton; Lithograph by Leon Jean Baptiste Sabatier Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: W.L Crowther Library Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 4081
Tags: tasmania expeditions sabatier vandiemensland dumontdurville frenchexplorers hobarttown tasmanianarchivesandheritageoffice wlcrowtherlibrary 18371840



New-Norfolck (New Norfolk)
Description: Design by L. Le Breton; Lithograph by Leon Jean Baptiste Sabatier Tasmanian Archives and Heritage Office: Allport Library Images from the TAHO collection that are part of The Commons have ‘no known copyright restrictions’, which means TAHO is unaware of any current copyright restrictions on these works. This can be because the term of copyright for these works may have expired or that the copyright was held and waived by TAHO. The material may be freely used provided TAHO is acknowledged; however TAHO does not endorse any inappropriate or derogatory use.
Owner: Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office Commons
Views: 3084
Tags: tasmania expeditions sabatier vandiemensland dumontdurville frenchexplorers hobarttown tasmanianarchivesandheritageoffice wlcrowtherlibrary 18371840



Uidentifisert fly over Ullevål, Oslo [montasje?] / Unidentified airplane over Ullevål, Oslo [montage?]
Description: Dato / Date: ukjent / unknown Sted / Place: Oslo, Ullevål Fotograf / Photographer: ukjent / unknown Utgiver / Publisher: ukjent / unknown Digital kopi av original / Digital copy of original: s/h postkort, sølvgelatin Eier / Owner Institution: Nasjonalbiblioteket / National Library of Norway Lenke / Link: www.nb.no Bildesignatur / Image Number: blds_06913
Owner: National Library of Norway
Views: 6320
Tags: oslo plane airplane fly aeroplane postcards ullevål ullevaal postkort nasjonalbiblioteket



Jewish Workers Club Bronislav Grosser Kharkov
Description: Jewish Workers' Club. Bronislav Grosser. Kharkov. This Jewish workers’ club located in Kharkov, Ukraine was named after Bronislav Grosser. Bronislav Grosser was a well-known Bundist, writer, and theoretician of Jewish nationalism from Poland. He became something of a Bundist legend after his death in 1912, with many cultural and educational institutions, particularly in interwar Poland, being named after him. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 2893
Tags:



May He Live Zalman Tuviyah Markovicius the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania
Description: May He Live, Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius // the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania After serving as the Rabbi in the small Lithuanian town of Inturke (Anturke), Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius (Markovitz) relocated to the town of Antaliepte, also in Lithuania. The community of Antaliepte was a small Jewish community, and though many of its Jewish residents left the village after the First World War there were still several hundred Jews living there throughout the interwar period. Though Antaliepte was annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, the community fell under the control of the Nazis on June 26th, 1941, shortly after the Nazis began their invasion of the Soviet Union. Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markowitz, together with his son Hayim-Shimshon Markowitz, was murdered by the Nazis in the Ninth Fort in Kaunas. This was his book stamp. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 3799
Tags:



May He Live Zalman Tuviyah Markovicius the Rabbi fo Antaliepte in Lithuania_2
Description: May He Live, Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius // the Rabbi of Antaliepte in Lithuania After serving as the Rabbi in the small Lithuanian town of Inturke (Anturke), Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markovicius (Markovitz) relocated to the town of Antaliepte, also in Lithuania. The community of Antaliepte was a small Jewish community, and though many of its Jewish residents left the village after the First World War there were still several hundred Jews living there throughout the interwar period. Though Antaliepte was annexed by the Soviet Union in 1940, the community fell under the control of the Nazis on June 26th, 1941, shortly after the Nazis began their invasion of the Soviet Union. Rabbi Zalman-Tuviyah Markowitz, together with his son Hayim-Shimshon Markowitz, was murdered by the Nazis in the Ninth Fort in Kaunas. This was his book stamp. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 3387
Tags:



Library of the Vilna House of the Red Army
Description: Library of the Vilna House of the Red Army. Number 3633. 12-86. A “House of the Red Army” was a cultural institution whose function it was to serve the cultural, educational, and recreational needs of Red Army officers and soldiers. They existed in cities all over the Soviet Union and were renamed Officers’ Garrison Houses in 1946. This stamp comes from the library of a House of the Red Army in Vilna (modern-day Vilnius). Vilnius was under Soviet control from September 19th-October 28th in 1939 as part of the Soviet-occupied section of Poland resulting from the German invasion of Poland and the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. It was also under Soviet control from August 3rd, 1940 until June 24th, 1941, which is the likely time period during which this House of the Red Army was built. This book stamp is from a book looted by the Nazis and sorted by Colonel Seymour Pomrenze, one of “the Monuments Men,” at the Offenbach Archival Depot. There are two scrapbooks of archival markings from the books sorted at the Offenbach Depot in the Seymour Pomrenze Collection held by the American Jewish Historical Society (Call number P-933) There is a finding aid for the collection here The digitized scrapbooks are available here and here. For more information on this project check the Center’s blog: 16thstreet.tumblr.com/tagged/Offenbach-Depot Dr. Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center is working on a similar project for the German book stamps based on NARA microfilm of the volumes the American Jewish Historical Society currently holds. See viewshare.org/views/mfraas/offenbach-bookplates/ The Center for Jewish History would like to acknowledge the following: The American Jewish Historical Society, who graciously allowed the use of their archival materials and digital content; Mitch Fraas, Acting Director of the Digital Humanities Forum at the University of Pennsylvania Libraries' Special Collections Center, for his data and technical assistance in this project; David Rosenberg, Senior Manager for Communications, and Melanie Meyers, Senior Reference Services Librarian for Special Collections, for managing and creating the digital map; as well as Reference Services Librarian Zachary Loeb and Reference Services Assistant Ilya Slavutskiy for their work on translating and mapping. For copyright information, click here
Owner: Center for Jewish History, NYC
Views: 3117
Tags: