These 2,554,148 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Gen. Leroy S. Upton (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Leroy S. Upton [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28243 Call Number: LC-B2- 4828-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 6168
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28243 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 passavant marne france november 1918 wwi aef
1915

Gen. Campbell King (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Campbell King [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28241 Call Number: LC-B2- 4828-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9257
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28241 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 luxembourg junglinster november 1918 wwi aef signalcorps
1915

Spit, spot, spats, striding strongly!  Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff at the races!
Description: Bearers of a name long-associated with horses in Ireland, here we see Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff, who appear intent on the business of racing as they stride (I imagine) towards the winners enclosure! I love their "going to the races" dress and their seeming indifference to the obvious photographer taking this shot. What might have been even more interesting would be to see the more exuberant dress of the lady behind Mrs. Goff... Who were they, where was it and when? On the "when?" question, we owe particular thanks to Carol Maddock whose investigations have associated this image with an Irish Independent society entry from January 1914. It confirms that the image was captured shortly after Herbert William Davis-Goff became High Sheriff of Waterford. On the "who?", the peerage resource provided by Niall McAuley tells us that Margaret Aimée Davis-Goff (née Scott) was from a diplomatic family. Davis-Goff seemingly went to war in the months after this image, and became second baronet in the Davis-Goff Baronetcy after his father's death in 1918.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date: Catalogue range c.1901-1954. But confirmed as January 1914 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2592 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 7492
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole poolecollection glassnegative nationallibraryofireland mrandmrsherbertgoff attheraces binoculars dress hats
1914

Young guests at the launch of the cargo ship 'Empire Crown'
Description: Three young boys attending the launch of 'Empire Crown' at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 October 1943 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/537/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6235
Tags: rivertyne southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd shipyard cargoship children shiplaunch maritime boys
1943

Launch of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’ after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 18 June 1940 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/518/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5479
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship shipyard shiplaunches workers vessel rivertyne launch
1940

The cargo ship 'Sir David' leaving the River Tyne
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Sir David’ heading on sea trials, 1927 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/485/3). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5215
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship sirdavid sea water vessel shipping maritime
1927

Launch of the cargo ship 'Highcliffe'
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Highcliffe’ afloat after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 September 1927 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/486/2). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5028
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd shipyard cargoship workers shiplaunch rivertyne highcliffe northeastengland
1927

Following the pipers!
Description: A victory parade following an election in Ennis in County Clare, seemingly with the Countess Markievicz in the lead wearing a white coat/dress. Finding the date will be easy but finding the location might be interesting - given the blank stone wall is the only distinguishing feature(?) Based on the contributions (past and more recent) on this image, it seems pretty clear the subject is a (victory) parade of Sinn Féin supporters, related to the East Clare by election of July 1917. DeValera won in a near landslide against the IPP candidate - in a precursor of what was to come in the 1918 general election. DeValera can be seen among the crowd - inline with the trunk of one of the right-hand trees, and below a man with a bike. As predicted, a confirmed location has been more elusive, although derangedlemur offers a solid candidate for that ballot on Cusack Rd (then Gaol Rd).... Photographer: Brendan Keogh Collection: Keogh Photographic Collection Date: c.1916 - 1920. But almost certainly July 1917. NLI Ref: Ke 130 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 8713
Tags: brendankeogh thekeoghphotographiccollection keoghbrothersltd nationallibraryofireland countessmarkievicz election ennis victoryparade pipers countyclare
1917

The Waterford Cats?
Description: A team in Waterford with Kilkenny-like vertical stripes may not have been too popular in inter-county circles - but these lads look like they could cope with the slagging! A fine Poole shot of a hurling team to remind us that yet another All Ireland season is in full swing. With thanks to all of the contributions today, in particular Niall McAuley, swordscookie, j.coffey78, and guliolopez, we know that the team pictured (or at least most of them) challenged for the 1916 Waterford County Hurling Final around the time of this photo. They forced a replay with Ferrybank GAA club. But lost out to Ferrybank in the end 5-0 to 3-3. guliolopez helpfully links us to a write up of the replayed final which lists the team as:  T King (goal), J Hogan, L Cantwell, R Cantwell, P Durley, T Smyth, W Walsh, J Power, M Fitzpatrick, M Baldwin, P Purcell, W Sullivan, T McCormack, J Geary, R McKenna A player who didn't make the replay (D Quinn) may also be captured here. It's proposed that, as perhaps the person who commissioned the photo, J(ohn?) Hogan could be the captain pictured.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date:ca. 14 October 1916 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2692 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 8397
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole poolecollection glassnegative nationallibraryofireland hurlingteam waterford jerseys kilkenny rivals
1916

Women students, Cowra Experiment Farm 1919
Description: Call Number: Slides 113 Format: lantern slides ; 8.5 x 8.5 cm. Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7085
Tags: statelibrarynsw
1919

Mauretania sliding down the slipway
Description: Bow view of the 'Mauretania' sliding down the slipway during her launch at the Wallsend yard of Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, 20 September 1906 (TWAM ref. ds.swh/5/3/4/2/B389). The 'Mauretania' was one of the most famous ships ever built on Tyneside. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5208
Tags: mauretania vessel historic important shiplaunch ships shipbuilding tyneandwear rivertyne northeastengland
1906

Lord Mayor of Newcastle at the Race Week Festival
Description: Alderman John Grantham, Lord Mayor of Newcastle, grabs a bit to eat at the Race Week Festival, Newcastle upon Tyne, 22 June 1937 (TWAM ref. DF.GRA/5/3). These images belong to a series of albums documenting John Grantham’s service to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne as its Sheriff 1924-1925 and its Lord Mayor 1936-1937. John Grantham was born in Blyth in 1877 and became a cinema proprietor in Newcastle. He was elected to the City Council in 1912 and became an alderman in 1932. The albums give us an interesting insight into the duties of Lord Mayor and Sheriff as well as a fascinating picture of the times. 2016 is the 800th anniversary of the creation of Newcastle's Mayoralty and Burgesses. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4934
Tags: johngrantham lordmayor newcastleupontyne 1930s northeastengland raceweekfestival tyneside horseracing eating food
1937

Edward Fenn, bobbin winder, convicted of stealing clothes
Description: Edward Fenn was convicted of stealing 'wearing apparel' on 31 March 1873 and served 1 month with hard labour. Age (on discharge): 15 Height: 5’ 1” Hair: Brown Eyes: Hazel Place of Birth: Woolwich Status: Single Occupation: Bobbin winder These photographs are of convicted criminals in Newcastle between 1871 - 1873. Reference:TWAS: PR.NC/6/1/1176 (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6242
Tags: poverty wood boy portrait blur face wall shirt youth scarf
1873

Young girl in high collared white blouse
Description: Titled in full as "young girl in high collared white blouse, with long hair suggesting informality", this Mason Collection image is indeed a little more casual and candid than the studio formality we tend to see in these collections. A more personal image from the Mason collection perhaps? The community suggests that, if indeed this is perhaps (obviously unconfirmed) a family member, that it could be Sarah Mason, who would have been in late teens or early 20s during the catalogue range ascribed to this image.... Photographer: TH Mason Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: 1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/10 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 33780
Tags: thomashmason masonsons masonphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland striking blouse longhair sarahmason
1900

Gun on railway truck mounting at the Elswick Works
Description: View of a 9.2 inch gun on railway truck mounting at the Elswick Works, c1917 (TWAM ref. DS.VA/9/PH/15/2). ‘Workshop of the World’ is a phrase often used to describe Britain’s manufacturing dominance during the Nineteenth Century. It’s also a very apt description for the Elswick Works and Scotswood Works of Vickers Armstrong and its predecessor companies. These great factories, situated in Newcastle along the banks of the River Tyne, employed hundreds of thousands of men and women and built a huge variety of products for customers around the globe. The Elswick Works was established by William George Armstrong (later Lord Armstrong) in 1847 to manufacture hydraulic cranes. From these relatively humble beginnings the company diversified into many fields including shipbuilding, armaments and locomotives. By 1953 the Elswick Works covered 70 acres and extended over a mile along the River Tyne. This set of images, mostly taken from our Vickers Armstrong collection, includes fascinating views of the factories at Elswick and Scotswood, the products they produced and the people that worked there. By preserving these archives we can ensure that their legacy lives on. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6139
Tags: roof sky building industry window glass hat wheel metal wall
1917

Passenger liner 'Orsova' at the Naval Yard
Description: Bow view of the passenger liner 'Orsova' at the Walker Naval Yard for a refit, 1960.(TWAM ref. DS.VA/9/PH/13/3). She was launched at the Barrow shipyard of Vickers Armstrongs on 14 May 1953. This set of images celebrates the achievements of the Naval Yard at High Walker. The Yard was established by Sir W.G. Armstrong Whitworth & Co Ltd as a replacement for the firm’s Elswick Shipyard. The size of the Elswick yard and its location above Newcastle Swing Bridge meant that by the early twentieth century it had become unsuitable for building large warships. Shipbuilding operations started at the Naval Yard in 1913 and by the end of the First World War all shipbuilding at Elswick had ceased. Between 1913 and 1928 the yard completed 37 warships, 29 merchant ships and 30 tankers. In April 1928, though, it was placed on a care and maintenance basis. The yard re-opened in 1930 to build the liner ‘Monarch of Bermuda’ but after her completion in November 1931 had to close again from lack or orders. In May 1934, however, the yard re-opened and went on to play an important role in the Second World War. During the War the yard delivered 72 ships including a battleship, a monitor, 4 aircraft-carriers, 3 cruisers, 22 destroyers, 15 submarines and numerous landing craft. After the War the Naval Yard was busy with merchant shipping. Giant tankers and famous passenger liners, such as the ‘Empress of England’, were built at Walker. From 1953 onwards the Yard also started building warships again, including the County-class destroyer HMS Glamorgan, launched in 1964. Difficult times lay ahead, though, and in 1968 the shipyards on the Tyne were merged to form Swan Hunter and Tyne Shipbuilders. On 15 February 1980 the containership ‘Dunedin’ was the last vessel to be launched at the Naval Yard bringing to an end a proud shipbuilding history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7248
Tags: chimney abstract blur reflection industry water river reading boat interesting
1960

Ready to descent Ellington Colliery
Description: Ready to descend Ellington Colliery, Northumberland during the visit of His Excellency the Argentine Minister, 22 April 1925 (TWAM ref. DF.GRA/1/2). These images belong to a series of albums documenting John Grantham’s service to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne as its Sheriff 1924-1925 and its Lord Mayor 1936-1937. John Grantham was born in Blyth in 1877 and became a cinema proprietor in Newcastle. He was elected to the City Council in 1912 and became an alderman in 1932. The albums give us an interesting insight into the duties of Lord Mayor and Sheriff as well as a fascinating picture of the times. 2016 is the 800th anniversary of the creation of Newcastle's Mayoralty and Burgesses. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5505
Tags: 1920s light reflection building brick industry feet window glass argentine
1925

The Black Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: View of the Black Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne (TWAM ref. DX872/1). The date written beside the image is 1858. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5374
Tags: door shadow chimney sky people house abstract castles industry window
1858

Robert Jackson, charged with loitering for the purpose of committing a felony
Description: Name: Robert Jackson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 April 1907 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-105-Robert Jackson For an image of his accomplice Margaret Harker see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/16822680419/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 22 April 1907 reports: “ROBBERY FROM THE PERSON. At North Shields Police Court today, before Councillor J. Sanderson and Mr G.H. Stansfield, Margaret Harker, Normanby, and Janet Sanderson, Newcastle, were charged on demand with having stolen from the person of Joseph Conaty, 6d and a pot of rum on the 13th inst. Prosecutor, who is a shipwright living at No. 2 Reed Street, stated that at 11.15 pm on the date named he was in Bedford Street, near to the Tiger Stairs, when he was accosted by the two women who asked him to go with them. They went to a room in Liddell Street and after he had given them each 1s they knocked him about, went through his pockets, and took 6d and a pot of rum. Later he was kicked downstairs by a man and upon getting outside he saw some police officers and informed them of what had occurred. PC Graham and Sergt. Wilson spoke to finding one of the women crouching in a recess in the yard of a house in Liddell Street. Accused pleaded not guilty. The magistrates taking into consideration the fact that they had been in custody for some time, committed them only for one day. Margaret Harker, in conjunction with Robert Jackson and Thos. Bell, were charged with loitering in Liddell Street, supposed for the purpose of committing a felony, on the 13th inst. PC Graham and Sergt. Wilson gave evidence in support of the charge. Chief Constable Huish said he had made enquiries concerning the accused and had found that they had all been convicted for larceny. Harker made her 47th appearance, Thos. Bell his 6th appearance and Jackson his 8th appearance. The last named had been imprisoned for shop-breaking and robbery with violence. The charge was stoutly denied by the accused who were each committed to prison for a month with hard labour.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6365
Tags: portrait man money blur hat shirt interesting scary chair hand
1907

Sheriff on his horse at the Hoppings
Description: View of John Grantham, Sheriff of Newcastle at the Town Moor Temperance Festival (Hoppings), 26 June 1925 (TWAM ref. DF.GRA/1/3). He and Mrs Grantham were involved with a special fundraising day at the Festival in support of the Royal Victoria Infirmary. These images belong to a series of albums documenting John Grantham’s service to the City of Newcastle upon Tyne as its Sheriff 1924-1925 and its Lord Mayor 1936-1937. John Grantham was born in Blyth in 1877 and became a cinema proprietor in Newcastle. He was elected to the City Council in 1912 and became an alderman in 1932. The albums give us an interesting insight into the duties of Lord Mayor and Sheriff as well as a fascinating picture of the times. 2016 is the 800th anniversary of the creation of Newcastle's Mayoralty and Burgesses. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 9002
Tags: 1920s boy horse woman man blur industry stockings hat shirt
1925

Bailleul, 1918 (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Bailleul, 1918 1918 (date created or published later by Bain) 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27946 Call Number: LC-B2- 4772-3
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3280
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27946 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 johnwarwickbrooke brooke photographer wwi september 1918 ruins
1918

P.E. Calles (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. P.E. Calles [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27833 Call Number: LC-B2- 4756-1
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4464
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27833 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 january271927 august 1924
1915

A. Betti (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. A. Betti [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27741 Call Number: LC-B2- 4743-9
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 6241
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27741 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 flonzaleyquartet
1915

W. Camp, Mrs. C. Van Rensselaer, Col. F.M. Davis, Lt. R. Breeze, Sgt. Coombs (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. W. Camp, Mrs. C. Van Rensselaer, Col. F.M. Davis, Lt. R. Breeze, Sgt. Coombs [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27738 Call Number: LC-B2- 4742-17
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 5457
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27738 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 aviation aviator clarenceblaircoombs clarencebcoombs cbcooms clarencecoombs coombs
1915

Strasbourg - University (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Strasbourg - University [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27732 Call Number: LC-B2- 4741-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8692
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27732 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 palaisuniversitaire pontdauvergne france alsace
1915

Delamios (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Delamios [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27636 Call Number: LC-B2- 4725-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 6442
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27636 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 delaunois opera mezzosoprano
1915

British kite balloon (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. British kite balloon [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27486 Call Number: LC-B2- 4695-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10396
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27486 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 gosnay france 1918 may wwi royalflyingcorps caquot
1915

Toll House Sydney Harbour Bridge
Description: Title: Toll House Sydney Harbour Bridge Dated: 08/07/1932 Digital ID: 12685_a007_a00704_8724000173R Series: NRS 12685 Sydney Harbour Bridge Photographic Albums Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents. Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website.
Owner: State Archives NSW
Views: 3326
Tags: archives staterecordsnsw newsouthwales blackandwhite sydneyharbourbridge
1932

The peacemakers: George Gavan Duffy, Erskine Childers, Robert Barton and Arthur Griffith in a group
Description: From buildings, monuments and bridges to bridge builders today. Some of the negotiating team sent to London to broker peace with the British Government. That date looks all wrong? The date was indeed wrong! Arthur Griffith had passed away by the stated date (9 December 1922). Late in the day Niall McAuley seems to have solved the problem by linking us to the a site which states that the correct date is December 1921. The photo was more than likely taken during the return trip from London - after signing the Anglo Irish Treaty on 6 December 1921. Thank you for all the contributions. Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan Wilson Collection Date: December 1921 NLI Ref.: HOG3 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 16510
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection wdhogan nationallibraryofireland georgegavanduffy erskinechilders robertbarton arthurgriffith treaty dublin 09thdecember1921
1921

Resnati funeral (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Resnati funeral [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27323 Call Number: LC-B2- 4667-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7774
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27323 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 1918 parade procession aviation aviator
1915

W.J. Reilly (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. W.J. Reilly [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27276 Call Number: LC-B2- 4658-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8225
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27276 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 ussrecruit1917 manhattan unionsquare unitedstatesnavy usnavy usn ussrecruit
1915