These 2,581,689 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Army band and people in a field
Description: Today we make a rare visit to the Hogan-Wilson collection, and while it may not be our clearest photograph ever, you can see enough detail to suggest that this is a military procession. Perhaps a funeral? I like that all the cattle to the right seem to be focused on the proceedings. What are the chances of discovering the location? The community pulled-out all the stops on this one, and propose at least two possible candidates on subject, date and location. Based on the 1924 date in the catalogue, and the possible mixed Garda and army cortege, guliolopez suggests that this could be the funeral of Garda John Murrin at Bruckless, County Donegal. (He had been shot at Carrick-on-Suir in May 1924, and succumbed to his wounds later in the year). While there is a reasonable overlap on date and subject matter, there is less certainty on the location... In a parallel thread, and based on the description and army presence, Rory_Sherlock suggests this might be the 1922 funeral of army Sgt Michael Roche at Doolin, County Clare. (He had been killed in a grenade explosion at Tralee in August 1922). While there is less overlap with the catalogue range, we've learned before that they are not always reliable, and there seems more overlap and certainty on landscape and location. There is perhaps a consensus building that we're looking at a Hogan capture of the latter army/Roche funeral..... Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan Wilson Collection Date: Catalogue suggests c.1924. Though possibly 1922. NLI Ref.: HOG215 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 5328
Tags: hoganwilsoncollection wdhogan nationallibraryofireland funeral band procession army coffin 1920s crowd
1924

Discharging chromite at the Corporation Quay, Sunderland
Description: Discharging East African chromite from an ocean liner at the Corporation Quay, Sunderland, July 1949 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/3177H). This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 2666
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear corporationquay industry ships vessels quays shipping wearside
1949

Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1960
Description: View along Blackett Street, Newcastle upon Tyne from near Grey's Monument, May 1960 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/24387C). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of images taken by the Newcastle-based photographers Turners Ltd. The firm had an excellent reputation and was regularly commissioned by local businesses to take photographs of their products and their premises. Turners also sometimes took aerial and street views on their own account and many of those images have survived, giving us a fascinating glimpse of life in the North East of England in the second half of the Twentieth Century. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 2732
Tags: newcastleupontyne 1960s tyneside northeastengland blackettstreet shops historic interesting streetscene blackandwhitephotograph
1960

An exotic arrival in Sunderland
Description: View of a zebra waiting to be unloaded at the Corporation Quay, Sunderland, July 1949 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/3176V). This set of images celebrates the 300th Anniversary of the establishment of the Port of Sunderland. The port authority was constituted in 1717 by Act of Parliament, which appointed the River Wear Commissioners to manage and improve the harbour and river. Since then the port has changed beyond recognition with the construction of piers, docks and quays and the dredging of the River Wear to make it wider and deeper. These developments were vital to the coal trade on which the region’s prosperity depended. The improvement of the river was also essential to the success of shipbuilding in Sunderland as well as allied industries such as marine engineering and ship repairing. These images are a reflection of Sunderland’s proud industrial history. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 2155
Tags: portofsunderland sunderland riverwear historic heritage ships vessels docks animals cargo
1949

Bondi Beach, Sydney, 1922 / photographed by R. P. Moore
Description: View this panorama in our panorama viewer: dxlab.sl.nsw.gov.au/pano-scope/view.php?p=52 Call number: SPF / 3096 Digital ID: a1393005 Format: Gelatin silver photoprint Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5235
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales panorama bondi beach
1922

Two great ships, side by side
Description: View of the 'Turbinia' beside the 'Mauretania' at Wallsend in 1907 (TWAM ref. DS.SWH/4/PH/7/6/58). The presence of the 'Turbinia' really gets across the size of the great ocean liner. The 'Mauretania' was one of the most famous ships ever built on Tyneside. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 3017
Tags: mauretania turbinia vessel historic important shiplaunch ships shipbuilding tyneside tyneandwear
1907

Four men modelling hats in Pitt Street
Description: Call number: Home and Away - 1050 Digital ID: hood_01050 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 2480
Tags: statelibraryofnewsouthwales hats
1934

Gen. Leroy S. Upton (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Leroy S. Upton [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28243 Call Number: LC-B2- 4828-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 5824
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28243 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 passavant marne france november 1918 wwi aef
1915

Gen. Campbell King (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Gen. Campbell King [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.28241 Call Number: LC-B2- 4828-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8731
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain28241 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 luxembourg junglinster november 1918 wwi aef signalcorps
1915

Spit, spot, spats, striding strongly!  Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff at the races!
Description: Bearers of a name long-associated with horses in Ireland, here we see Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Goff, who appear intent on the business of racing as they stride (I imagine) towards the winners enclosure! I love their "going to the races" dress and their seeming indifference to the obvious photographer taking this shot. What might have been even more interesting would be to see the more exuberant dress of the lady behind Mrs. Goff... Who were they, where was it and when? On the "when?" question, we owe particular thanks to Carol Maddock whose investigations have associated this image with an Irish Independent society entry from January 1914. It confirms that the image was captured shortly after Herbert William Davis-Goff became High Sheriff of Waterford. On the "who?", the peerage resource provided by Niall McAuley tells us that Margaret Aimée Davis-Goff (née Scott) was from a diplomatic family. Davis-Goff seemingly went to war in the months after this image, and became second baronet in the Davis-Goff Baronetcy after his father's death in 1918.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date: Catalogue range c.1901-1954. But confirmed as January 1914 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2592 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 6622
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole poolecollection glassnegative nationallibraryofireland mrandmrsherbertgoff attheraces binoculars dress hats
1914

American soldiers & wounded (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. American soldiers & wounded [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27945 Call Number: LC-B2- 4772-2
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3115
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27945 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 committeeonpublicinformation april 1918 wwi france horreville train
1915

Young guests at the launch of the cargo ship 'Empire Crown'
Description: Three young boys attending the launch of 'Empire Crown' at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 October 1943 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/537/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5156
Tags: rivertyne southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd shipyard cargoship children shiplaunch maritime boys
1943

Launch of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Thursobank’ after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 18 June 1940 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/518/1). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4601
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship shipyard shiplaunches workers vessel rivertyne launch
1940

The cargo ship 'Sir David' leaving the River Tyne
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Sir David’ heading on sea trials, 1927 (TWAM ref. DS.RDD/4/PH/1/485/3). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4352
Tags: southshields shipbuilding johnreadheadsonsltd cargoship sirdavid sea water vessel shipping maritime
1927

Following the pipers!
Description: A victory parade following an election in Ennis in County Clare, seemingly with the Countess Markievicz in the lead wearing a white coat/dress. Finding the date will be easy but finding the location might be interesting - given the blank stone wall is the only distinguishing feature(?) Based on the contributions (past and more recent) on this image, it seems pretty clear the subject is a (victory) parade of Sinn Féin supporters, related to the East Clare by election of July 1917. DeValera won in a near landslide against the IPP candidate - in a precursor of what was to come in the 1918 general election. DeValera can be seen among the crowd - inline with the trunk of one of the right-hand trees, and below a man with a bike. As predicted, a confirmed location has been more elusive, although derangedlemur offers a solid candidate for that ballot on Cusack Rd (then Gaol Rd).... Photographer: Brendan Keogh Collection: Keogh Photographic Collection Date: c.1916 - 1920. But almost certainly July 1917. NLI Ref: Ke 130 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 8020
Tags: brendankeogh thekeoghphotographiccollection keoghbrothersltd nationallibraryofireland countessmarkievicz election ennis victoryparade pipers countyclare
1917

The Waterford Cats?
Description: A team in Waterford with Kilkenny-like vertical stripes may not have been too popular in inter-county circles - but these lads look like they could cope with the slagging! A fine Poole shot of a hurling team to remind us that yet another All Ireland season is in full swing. With thanks to all of the contributions today, in particular Niall McAuley, swordscookie, j.coffey78, and guliolopez, we know that the team pictured (or at least most of them) challenged for the 1916 Waterford County Hurling Final around the time of this photo. They forced a replay with Ferrybank GAA club. But lost out to Ferrybank in the end 5-0 to 3-3. guliolopez helpfully links us to a write up of the replayed final which lists the team as:  T King (goal), J Hogan, L Cantwell, R Cantwell, P Durley, T Smyth, W Walsh, J Power, M Fitzpatrick, M Baldwin, P Purcell, W Sullivan, T McCormack, J Geary, R McKenna A player who didn't make the replay (D Quinn) may also be captured here. It's proposed that, as perhaps the person who commissioned the photo, J(ohn?) Hogan could be the captain pictured.... Photographer: A. H. Poole Collection: Poole Photographic Studio, Waterford Date:ca. 14 October 1916 NLI Ref: POOLEWP 2692 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 7842
Tags: ahpoole arthurhenripoole poolecollection glassnegative nationallibraryofireland hurlingteam waterford jerseys kilkenny rivals
1916

British kite balloon (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. British kite balloon [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.27486 Call Number: LC-B2- 4695-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10031
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain27486 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 gosnay france 1918 may wwi royalflyingcorps caquot
1915