These 2,537,473 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Swan House roundabout and surrounding area, 1977
Description: Aerial view of Newcastle upon Tyne, showing the Swan House roundabout and surrounding area, including Grey's Monument, Grey Street and Pilgrim Street, May 1977 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/4/CN10582D). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of colour aerial photographs of Newcastle upon Tyne. These images were captured by the Newcastle-based photographic firm Turners Ltd during the mid to late 1970s. At first glance, some of these images give the impression that the Newcastle landscape hasn't changed much in 40 years. Look more closely, though, and some of the differences between then and now will reveal themselves - see how many you can spot. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6010
Tags: road park street bridge roof shadow england abstract heritage window
1977

Eldon Square shopping centre nears completion, 1976
Description: Aerial view of Newcastle upon Tyne, showing the new Eldon Square shopping centre nearing completion, January 1976 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/4/CN8897H). Tyne & Wear Archives presents a series of colour aerial photographs of Newcastle upon Tyne. These images were captured by the Newcastle-based photographic firm Turners Ltd during the mid to late 1970s. At first glance, some of these images give the impression that the Newcastle landscape hasn't changed much in 40 years. Look more closely, though, and some of the differences between then and now will reveal themselves - see how many you can spot. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5950
Tags: road park city roof shadow abstract industry window water glass
1976

'The Rocket' locomotive engine - Stephenson
Description: We are going to start this week with a BANG! A Rocket no less from the Mason collection but this was as Carol would say "out forring!" Mason had many shots in his collection that came from sources other than his own photography. The wonderful Rocket was the wonder of its age and has lost none of its appeal for anoraks and children! With thanks in particular today to derangedlemur, sharon.corbet, beachcomberaustralia, and O Mac, it seems likely that this item from the Mason Collection is a copy of a similar image used for a turn-of-century London and North Western Railway postcard. While the whiteout on the background make it difficult to judge scale or location, today's contributors highlight the similarity with this LNWR postcard from 1904, likely making the engine shown a late-19th/early-20th century replica or model. O Mac offers a concrete theory that what we see here therefore is a model built by the chief mechanical engineer of the LNWR in the mid-1880s, for the Liverpool Exhibition of 1887... Photographer: Thomas H. Mason Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: ca. 1890-1910 NLI Ref: M24/62/4 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 11446
Tags: model postcard engine replica locomotive rocket steamengine 022 stephensonsrocket 1887
1900

The tank engine 'Hilda' built by Hawthorn Leslie
Description: An image of the tank engine 'Hilda' ordered in December 1912 (TWAM ref. DS.RSH/1/1/3). Engine no. 2999. Built for: stock. Date ordered 12 December 1912. Gauge of Railway: 4 feet 8½ inches. Principal Dimensions. Cylinders dia: 16 inches. Cylinders stroke: 24 inches. Wheels (Dia. of coupled): 3 feet 10 inches. Wheel-base - total: 6 feet 6 inches. Water capacity: 945 gallons. Fuel capacity: 47 cubic feet = 1.05 tons. Heating surface – total: 865 square feet. Grate area: 12.5 square feet. Working pressure: 160 lbs per square inch. Total weight in working order: 37.25 tons. Tractive force taking 90% of the working pressure: 19233 lbs. Tractive force taking 75% of the working pressure: 16028 lbs. Approximate shipping space: 2900 cubic feet. Approximate gross weight packed for shipment: 32.5 tons. Code Word: HILDA This album celebrates the achievements of the Hawthorn Leslie locomotive works at Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne. The works were established by Robert Hawthorn in January 1817 and in 1820 his brother, William Hawthorn joined him as a partner. The firm initially manufactured stationary engines but within a few years diversified into marine engineering and in 1831 produced its first locomotive engine for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. In 1870 the firm established a separate marine engine works on the River Tyne at St. Peter’s and from 1882 the Forth Banks Works became devoted entirely to the manufacture of locomotives. In 1885 the firm amalgamated with the shipyard of Andrew Leslie at Hebburn, creating the world-famous shipbuilding and engineering company R and W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. The Forth Banks Works of Hawthorn Leslie produced engines of all types and sizes for railways around the world. The output of the Forth Banks Works included a large number of tank engines for industrial works and collieries and the firm established a speciality in the construction of crane locomotives. The images in this set date from the early twentieth century and are a reminder of Newcastle upon Tyne’s proud industrial heritage. They are taken from a series of photograph albums produced by Hawthorn Leslie. The albums were kindly donated to Tyne & Wear Archives by Alan C. Baker and T.D. Allen Civil. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 9640
Tags: industry train interesting industrial engineering historic engines locomotive railways newcastleupontyne
1912

Tank engine for the Weardale Lead Company
Description: An image of a tank engine, ordered by the Weardale Lead Company in April 1913 (TWAM ref. DS.RSH/1/1/3). Engine no. 3029. Built for: Weardale Lead Company. Date ordered 2 April 1913. Gauge of Railway: 1 foot 10 inches. Principal Dimensions. Cylinders dia: 5 inches. Cylinders stroke: 10 inches. Wheels (Dia. of coupled): 1 foot 8½ inches. Wheel-base - total: 3 feet. Water capacity: 65 gallons. Fuel capacity: not given. Heating surface – total: 74 square feet. Grate area: 2 square feet. Working pressure: 140 lbs per square inch. Total weight in working order: 4.25 tons. Tractive force taking 90% of the working pressure: 1536 lbs. Tractive force taking 75% of the working pressure: 1280 lbs. Approximate shipping space: 372 cubic feet. Approximate gross weight packed for shipment: 3.795 tons. Code Word: GANDA This album celebrates the achievements of the Hawthorn Leslie locomotive works at Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne. The works were established by Robert Hawthorn in January 1817 and in 1820 his brother, William Hawthorn joined him as a partner. The firm initially manufactured stationary engines but within a few years diversified into marine engineering and in 1831 produced its first locomotive engine for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. In 1870 the firm established a separate marine engine works on the River Tyne at St. Peter’s and from 1882 the Forth Banks Works became devoted entirely to the manufacture of locomotives. In 1885 the firm amalgamated with the shipyard of Andrew Leslie at Hebburn, creating the world-famous shipbuilding and engineering company R and W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. The Forth Banks Works of Hawthorn Leslie produced engines of all types and sizes for railways around the world. The output of the Forth Banks Works included a large number of tank engines for industrial works and collieries and the firm established a speciality in the construction of crane locomotives. The images in this set date from the early twentieth century and are a reminder of Newcastle upon Tyne’s proud industrial heritage. They are taken from a series of photograph albums produced by Hawthorn Leslie. The albums were kindly donated to Tyne & Wear Archives by Alan C. Baker and T.D. Allen Civil. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4785
Tags: roof blackandwhite building industry wheel metal stone sepia train handle
1913

'Naess Crusdaer' from the air
Description: Aerial starboard stern quarter view of the OBO carrier 'Naess Crusader' on sea trials, June 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/6/61816G). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4707
Tags: 2005 roof sea chimney industry water wall newcastle spectacular vent
1973

Saddle Tank Engine for the South Metropolitan Gas Company
Description: An image of a saddle tank engine, one of two ordered for the South Metropolitan Gas Company, London in May 1909 (TWAM ref. DS.RSH/1/1/3). Engine nos. 2790-2791. Built for: South Metropolitan Gas Company. Date ordered 14 May 1909. Gauge of Railway: 4 feet 8½ inches. Principal Dimensions. Cylinders dia: 10 inches. Cylinders stroke: 15 inches. Wheels (Dia. of coupled): 2 feet 10 inches. Wheel-base - total: 5 feet. Water capacity: 350 gallons. Fuel capacity: 25 cubic feet = 0.55 tons. Heating surface – total: 300 square feet. Grate area: 6 square feet. Working pressure: 150 lbs per square inch. Total weight in working order: 16.75 tons. Tractive force taking 90% of the working pressure: 5558 lbs. Tractive force taking 75% of the working pressure: 4632 lbs. Approximate shipping space: 1455 cubic feet. Approximate gross weight packed for shipment: 15 tons. Code Word: MET This album celebrates the achievements of the Hawthorn Leslie locomotive works at Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne. The works were established by Robert Hawthorn in January 1817 and in 1820 his brother, William Hawthorn joined him as a partner. The firm initially manufactured stationary engines but within a few years diversified into marine engineering and in 1831 produced its first locomotive engine for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. In 1870 the firm established a separate marine engine works on the River Tyne at St. Peter’s and from 1882 the Forth Banks Works became devoted entirely to the manufacture of locomotives. In 1885 the firm amalgamated with the shipyard of Andrew Leslie at Hebburn, creating the world-famous shipbuilding and engineering company R and W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. The Forth Banks Works of Hawthorn Leslie produced engines of all types and sizes for railways around the world. The output of the Forth Banks Works included a large number of tank engines for industrial works and collieries and the firm established a speciality in the construction of crane locomotives. The images in this set date from the early twentieth century and are a reminder of Newcastle upon Tyne’s proud industrial heritage. They are taken from a series of photograph albums produced by Hawthorn Leslie. The albums were kindly donated to Tyne & Wear Archives by Alan C. Baker and T.D. Allen Civil. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6208
Tags: railroad roof light blur london industry window wheel stone sepia
1909

Models posing for a fashion shoot in front of a Qantas biplane 1936
Description: Creator: Unidentified Location: Queensland Collection reference: Accession number: 85-3-5. Description: The fashion models were taking part in an autumn feature of a McWhirter's Clothing supplement. Some of the photographs used were to appear in the Pictorial Supplement of The Queenslander, 19 March 1936, p. 25 (Description supplied with photograph.) View this image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/deriv/214320 Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/resources/picture-queensland You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute State Library of Queensland.
Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Views: 3654
Tags: autumn fall fashion models queensland qantas statelibraryofqueensland
1936

Pearl diver collecting shells from the beds of Torres Strait, Queensland / Frank Hurley
Description: Hurley, Frank, 1885-1962 Persistent URL nla.gov.au/nla.obj-151335501
Owner: National Library of Australia Commons
Views: 8982
Tags: nationallibraryofaustralia xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httpnlagovaunlaobj151335501 diver hardhatdiver divinghelmet
1921

Binishell, North Narrabeen Primary School
Description: Interior, Binishell Library, North Narrabeen Primary School, NSW, 10/9/75, the first binishell project erected for a NSW school: Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 4 - 33754 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6964
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1975

Binishell, Ashbury Primary School
Description: Binishell, Ashbury Primary School, Ashfield, NSW, 21/10/77, Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 3 - 37439 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 6259
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1977

Binishell, Kur-Ring-Gai High School
Description: Binishell at Kur-Ring-Gai High School, NSW, now a Creative Arts High School, 23/6/77, Government Printing Office Series - Public Works. Colour transparency. GPO 3 - 37511 Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/s/search.html?collection=slnsw From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 8134
Tags: schools statelibraryofnsw governmentarchitectsoffice binishells
1977

Sidney Yeoman Forrest, arrested for stealing a pair of reins and two whips
Description: Name: Sidney Y. Forrest Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 22 February 1908 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-123-Sidney Y Forrest The Shields Daily News for 24 February 1908 reports: “A YOUTH’S THEFT. Sidney Yeoman Forrest (17), living at 20 West Percy Street, was bound over in the sum of 20s for six months under the Probationers’ Act, on a charge of stealing, on the 11th inst., from a cart shed at Spittal Dene Farm a pair of reins and two whips, valued at 7s 6d, the property of Henry Nelless.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6372
Tags: boy portrait thread hat youth scarf hair interesting child unitedkingdom
1908

Aerial view of the River Wear
Description: Aerial view of ‘Naess Crusader’ at Manor Quay, Sunderland as a ship is towed past, 4 March 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61267B). The image also shows her sister ship 'Nordic Chieftain' under construction at the North Sands shipyard. The vessel under tow has been identified as 'Fidias' (launched at the Deptford yard, Sunderland on 18 December 1972) by Anthony Renton of Sunderland Tugs and Shipbuilding in pictures. For a different view of this scene see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24965003922/in/album-72157.... These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5894
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship aerialview vessel historic riverwear cranes
1973

Aerial view of 'Naess Crusader' at Manor Quay
Description: Aerial view of ‘Naess Crusader’ at Manor Quay, Sunderland as a ship is towed past, 4 March 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61267A). The image also shows her sister ship 'Nordic Chieftain' under construction at the North Sands shipyard. The vessel under tow has been identified as 'Fidias' (launched at the Deptford yard, Sunderland on 18 December 1972) by Anthony Renton of Sunderland Tugs and Shipbuilding in pictures. For a different view of this scene see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24736089179/. These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6105
Tags: sunderland shipbuilding riverwear northsandssunderland naesscrusader manorquay fittingoutquay maritimeheritage blackandwhitephotograph shipyard
1973

'Naess Crusader' being fitted out at Manor Quay
Description: View of ‘Naess Crusader’ being fitted out at Manor Quay, Sunderland, 26 February 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61225D). The image also shows her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ in the early stages of construction (at the bottom right). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5961
Tags: roof chimney sky abstract industry window wall buildings river interesting
1973

Deck view of 'Naess Crusader' at the fitting out quay
Description: Deck view of ‘Naess Crusader’ at Manor Quay, Sunderland, 29 January 1973 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61109A). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5743
Tags: bridge roof chimney sky abstract industry window glass wall buildings
1973

Thomas Craigie, labourer, arrested for breaking into a house
Description: Name: Thomas Craigie Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 2 November 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-79-Thomas Craigie For an image of his accomplice Edwin Frankland see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24815527135/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 November 1905 reports: “LENIENTLY DEALT WITH. Edwin F. Frankland (17), steamboatman, 41 Elsdon Street and Thomas Craigie (18), labourer, Bull Ring Stairs, were charged with being found on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose on the 1st inst. Miss Sarah Hall, a general dealer, residing and carrying on business in the Bull Ring, deposed to locking up her premises at 11.15 pm on the 31st ult. and being awakened by her sister at six o’clock the following morning and finding that the house had been entered. Jane Hall, a sister of the prosecutrix, said that she awakened and saw Frankland standing in the door with a candle in his hand. She asked him what he wanted and he made no reply. Sergeant Hall said that he apprehended Frankland at his house in Elsdon Street. In reply to the charge he said “Craigie forced open the shutters, drew the bolt, went inside and I followed. I struck a match and someone shouted out.” He apprehended Craigie in his mother’s house and he made no reply to the charge. The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, although the defendants pleaded guilty and dismissed the charge against them.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7275
Tags: boy portrait blur eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose
1905

Tugboats towing 'Naess Crusader' after her launch
Description: View of ‘Naess Crusader’ being towed after launch from the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 21 December 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60988A). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8003
Tags: light sky cloud abstract blur industry window water glass night
1972

The bow of 'Naess Crusader' nears completion
Description: Work on the bow of 'Naess Crusader' nearing completion at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 5 December 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60900C). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6757
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship vessel historic riverwear cranes bow
1972

Edwin Frankland, steamboatman, arrested for breaking into a house
Description: Name: Edwin Frankland Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 2 November 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-79-Edwin Frankland For an image of his accomplice Thomas Craigie see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/24927320706/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 9 November 1905 reports: “LENIENTLY DEALT WITH. Edwin F. Frankland (17), steamboatman, 41 Elsdon Street and Thomas Craigie (18), labourer, Bull Ring Stairs, were charged with being found on enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose on the 1st inst. Miss Sarah Hall, a general dealer, residing and carrying on business in the Bull Ring, deposed to locking up her premises at 11.15 pm on the 31st ult. and being awakened by her sister at six o’clock the following morning and finding that the house had been entered. Jane Hall, a sister of the prosecutrix, said that she awakened and saw Frankland standing in the door with a candle in his hand. She asked him what he wanted and he made no reply. Sergeant Hall said that he apprehended Frankland at his house in Elsdon Street. In reply to the charge he said “Craigie forced open the shutters, drew the bolt, went inside and I followed. I struck a match and someone shouted out.” He apprehended Craigie in his mother’s house and he made no reply to the charge. The magistrates took a lenient view of the case, although the defendants pleaded guilty and dismissed the charge against them.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6465
Tags: prisoner crime criminal northshields elsdonstreet northtyneside policestation mugshot cap young
1905

Working on the bow of 'Naess Crusader'
Description: View of prefabrication work on the bow of ‘Naess Crusader’ at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 23 October 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/60707A). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5157
Tags: sunderland shipbuilding riverwear northsandssunderland naesscrusader cranes maritimeheritage blackandwhitephotograph shipyard industry
1972

Whose blouse was not washed in OMO?
Description: This somewhat 'different' photograph from the Clonbrock collection is labelled fully as "Bicycle Gymkhana. Women's bicycle fun race. Competitors stopped to drink from cups. Women wearing white blouses and straw boater hats". It appears to show ladies with bicycles drinking/eating from cups likely as part of a fun race at a "Bicycle Gymkhana" day - perhaps at the Clonbrock estate. With lots of hats and early cycling fashions on display, we wondered if the community could help with extra context - and duly obliged. Thanks especially today to John Spooner and beachcomberaustralia for providing extra context on the popularity of these types of events in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. And how, while perhaps somewhat whimsical in themselves, marked a social trend towards independence in transport at the time.... Photographers: Dillon Family Contributors: Luke Gerald Dillon, Augusta Caroline Dillon Collection: Clonbrock Photographic Collection Date: Circa 1900 NLI Ref: CLON882 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 13826
Tags: fashion bicycle race cycling tressle funrace nationallibraryofireland dillonfamily firstwavefeminism lukegeralddillon
1900

Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Jewish Quarter, Jerusalem [1918 Jan. and 1929 Aug.] (date created or published later by Bain) 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title and dates from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25934 Call Number: LC-B2- 4449-13
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 12786
Tags: street blackandwhite bw white news black building brick stone blackwhite
1918

The cargo ship 'Tangistan' after launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Tangistan’ afloat on the River Tyne after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shield, 20 December 1949 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/6/3990F). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7317
Tags: roof chimney sky people abstract blur industry water hat wall
1949

Working on a propeller at Readhead's shipyard
Description: Workers fitting a propeller to its shaft at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1197). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6297
Tags: roof shadow sky abstract building industry window glass hat wall
1963

Lucio Pelliza, Italian waiter, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Lucio Pelliza alias Frank Jackson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 10 May 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-87-Lucio Pelliza AKA Frank Jackson The Shields Daily News for 18 May 1906 reports: “ALLEGED LARCENY AT NORTH SHIELDS. ACCUSED COMMITTED FOR TRIAL. At North Shields Police Court today, Lucio Pelliza (23), described as a waiter, who was charged on Wednesday with having stolen, from a dwelling house in Sibthorpe Street, a gold necklace, a gold brooche, a silver watch, albert and medal and £4 5s. valued in all £11 10s, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, between the 6th and 7th inst., was again placed in the dock. The depositions, which were taken on Wednesday and reported at the time, were read over to the witnesses and signed by them, after which the accused, who had nothing to say, was formally committed for trial at the Assizes.” The Shields Daily News for 4 July 1906 reports: “The Midsummer Sessions for the County of Northumberland were held at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, this morning ... Lucio Pelliza, 23, waiter, pleaded guilty to having stolen £4 5s, a silver watch and other articles, the property of Erimo Gianandrea, at Tynemouth, between May 7 and 8 last. Prisoner promised that after he served his term of punishment he would go back to his own country and lead a better life. The Chairman said the prisoner had been three times convicted of similar offences. This time he would go to prison for 18 months with hard labour. A sovereign which had been found sewn in prisoner’s coat was ordered to be restored to the prosecutor.” This wasn’t his first time in gaol. The Dundee Evening Telegraph of 12 September 1905 reports: “DARING THEFT AT CUPAR. ITALIAN WAITER’S CRIME. Luci Pelliza, of no fixed residence, was charged ... at Cupar today with having, on 11th September, within the shop in Burnside, occupied by John and Peter Cura, restaurant-keepers, stolen from a lockfast till two bags containing £7 12s 4½d. He pleaded guilty. The Fiscal stated that the accused was left in charge of the shop for a short time and that as soon as his master was out he forced open the till, pocketed the contents and made off, leaving the shop to look after itself. The Sheriff having remarked on the seriousness of the offence, ordered the accused to go to prison for 60 days.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8025
Tags: portrait blur hat shirt interesting italian mark grain tie suit
1906

Aerial view of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons and beyond
Description: Aerial photograph of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1164). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6342
Tags: road roof sky abstract blur industry water wall buildings river
1963

Matthew Armstrong, miner, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: Matthew Armstrong Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 19 July 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-91-Matthew Armstrong The Shields Daily News for 26 July 1906 reports: “LARCENY CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At the North Shields Police Court this morning, Matthew Armstrong (24), miner, 31 Roseberry Avenue, Preston, was committed to prison for one month, on a charge of stealing 5s from the till at the Fox Hunters Inn, the property of Adelaide Storey, on the 18th inst.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6697
Tags: portrait money blur eye face hat shirt mouth hair neck
1906

Christmas message from the workers
Description: Christmas message from the workers of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields as they prepare to launch the cargo ship ‘Empire Curzon’, 24 December 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1053). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10404
Tags: christmas wood xmas abstract industry hat bar handwriting boot chalk
1943

Launch party of the cargo ship 'Empire Hazlitt'
Description: Members of the launch party of the cargo ship ‘Empire Hazlitt’, at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 14 May 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1043). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7154
Tags: roof shadow chimney sky people building men brick window glass
1942

Thomas Strong, miner, arrested for stealing rhubarb
Description: Name: Thomas Strong Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 1 June 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-89-Thomas Strong The Shields Daily News for 1 June 1906 reports: “A SMART OFFICER. THEFT AT CHIRTON. At North Shields Police Court today, Thos. Strong, miner, Chirton, was charged with having stolen from Mr Sisterton’s market garden at Chirton on the 26th ult. a quantity of rhubarb, value 1s, and further with having committed a similar theft this morning. PC R. Askew stated that on the 26th ult., in consequence of a complaint received from Mr Sisterton, he went to the market garden kept by that gentleman. He examined some footprints in the garden and traced them to the fence, where he found a quantity of rhubarb leaves and a miner’s token bearing the number ‘34’. This morning at 4.20 witness was concealed in the garden and he saw the prisoner climb over the fence, go to the rhubarb bed and cut a bunch. Witness then came out of his place of concealment, and after a chase, caught the accused. Upon searching him at the police station he found in his possession a number of tokens bearing the same number as the one he found in the garden on the 26th. He charged him with the theft on that date and he replied “Well, I will have to take the weight of it”. Mr Sisterton having given evidence as to the value of the stolen rhubarb, the accused, who had nothing to say, was fined 5s and costs on each charge, and ordered to pay 1s 3d, the value of the rhubarb”. These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7416
Tags: portrait man blur male eye face hat leaves shirt scarf
1906

Preparing the cargo ship 'Crofter' for launch
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Crofter’ being prepared for launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 16 August 1951 (TWAM ref. 1061/1086). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7599
Tags: sky abstract blur building industry window glass wall stairs interesting
1951

Aerial view of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons
Description: Aerial photograph of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 10 May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1164). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6889
Tags: road houses roof chimney abstract reflection heritage industry window water
1963

Refurbishing tug boats at Bill Quay
Description: A view of former US Army tugs being refurbished at the ship-repair yard of RB Harrison and Son at Bill Quay, 3 August 1950 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/5192B). The tug boats had been acquired by France Fenwick and were being refurbished before being sent to the River Wear as Ryhope, Cornhill and Grangetown. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected] To purchase a hi-res copy please email [email protected] quoting the title and reference number.
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6243
Tags: door roof chimney sky abstract building industry window glass grass
1950

hood_06330r
Description: Crowds on the wharf farewell passengers on the P&O Moldavia with streamers, Pyrmont The sight of an overseas liner festooned with coloured streamers leaving Pyrmont for distant ports has long gone. These friends and relatives are farewelling passengers on the P&O RMS Moldavia, bound for Britain. The RMS Moldavia was not one of the company's better ships. Built in 1922, it was upgraded with a false second funnel in early 1928 to give it the appearance of a liner, but it still steamed at a miserly 16 knots. This no doubt gave the 850 passengers plenty of time to enjoy the vessel's library of 400 books. Call Number: Home and Away - 6330 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5090
Tags: pyrmont departures moldavia statelibraryofnsw passengerships samhood pormsmoldavia
1928

Presentation at the launch of 'Armanistan'
Description: A shipyard worker presenting flowers to the sponsor of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at her launch from the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). The task was sometimes given to the oldest or youngest worker at the yard. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8079
Tags: flowers roof shadow sky abstract flower men industry window smile
1948

Saddle tank engine built for Backworth Coal Company
Description: An image of the saddle tank engine 'Backworth' ordered by Backworth Coal Company Ltd in May 1906 (TWAM ref. DS.RSH/1/1/3). Engine no. 2671. Built for: Backworth Coal Company Ltd. Date ordered 11 May 1906. Gauge of Railway: 4 feet 8½ inches. Principal Dimensions. Cylinders dia: 17 inches. Cylinders stroke: 26 inches. Wheels (Dia. of coupled): 4 feet 1 inch. Wheel-base - total: 13 feet 0 inches. Water capacity: 1100 gallons. Fuel capacity: 52 cubic feet = 1.2 tons. Heating surface – total: 995 square feet. Grate area: 15.5 square feet. Working pressure: 160 lbs per square inch. Total weight in working order: 44.5 tons. Tractive force taking 90% of the working pressure: 22080 lbs. Tractive force taking 75% of the working pressure: 18400 lbs. Approximate shipping space: 3250 cubic feet. Approximate gross weight packed for shipment: 39.7 tons. Code Word: BACKWORTH This album celebrates the achievements of the Hawthorn Leslie locomotive works at Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne. The works were established by Robert Hawthorn in January 1817 and in 1820 his brother, William Hawthorn joined him as a partner. The firm initially manufactured stationary engines but within a few years diversified into marine engineering and in 1831 produced its first locomotive engine for the Stockton and Darlington Railway. In 1870 the firm established a separate marine engine works on the River Tyne at St. Peter’s and from 1882 the Forth Banks Works became devoted entirely to the manufacture of locomotives. In 1885 the firm amalgamated with the shipyard of Andrew Leslie at Hebburn, creating the world-famous shipbuilding and engineering company R and W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd. The Forth Banks Works of Hawthorn Leslie produced engines of all types and sizes for railways around the world. The output of the Forth Banks Works included a large number of tank engines for industrial works and collieries and the firm established a speciality in the construction of crane locomotives. The images in this set date from the early twentieth century and are a reminder of Newcastle upon Tyne’s proud industrial heritage. They are taken from a series of photograph albums produced by Hawthorn Leslie. The albums were kindly donated to Tyne & Wear Archives by Alan C. Baker and T.D. Allen Civil. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5490
Tags: industry train interesting industrial engineering historic engines locomotive railways newcastleupontyne
1906

Mrs. N. Le'R. Edgar (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mrs. N. Le'R. Edgar [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.26353 Call Number: LC-B2- 4517-6
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7300
Tags: newyork march libraryofcongress redcross 1918 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 internationalflowershow grandcentralpalace dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain26353
1915

Women's jazz band on a ship
Description: Call Number: PXE 789 (v.8) Format: photoprint Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au MGM women's jazz band, the Ingenues
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 11636
Tags: women jazz statelibraryofnsw
1928

Florence M. Taylor
Description: Call Number: PXA 218 Format: photoprint Find more detailed information about this photograph: acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemI... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales: www.sl.nsw.gov.au Florence M. Taylor was Australia's first female architect.
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 9162
Tags: statelibraryofnsw
1926

Stephen Fitzgibbon, arrested for a series of thefts
Description: Name: Stephen Fitzgibbon Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 November 1907 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-115-Stephen Fitzgibbon An image is available of his accomplice Thomas Pearson www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/25158947272/in/album-72157.... The Shields Daily News for 16 November 1907 reports: “THEFTS FROM OFFICE ON THE NORTH SHIELDS FISH QUAY. At the North Shields Police Court this morning - before Lieut.-Colonel F.R.N. Haswell, Coun. G. Addison and Mr G.H. Stansfield - Stephen Fitzgibbon (17) of 15 Bird Street; Thomas Pearson (16) and Charles Pearson (19), also of Bird Street, were brought up in custody charged with various thefts. Fitzgibbon and Thomas Pearson were charged with larceny from back yards, being called upon to answer three cases, while Fitzgibbon and Charles Pearson were charged with three thefts from offices on the North Shields Fish Quay. Evidence having been given in support of all the cases, the defendants were formally charged. They admitted the thefts and had no excuse to offer. Chief Constable Huish told the magistrates that other charges could have been preferred against the accused. Altogether there had been eleven offices broken into on the quay. They were each committed to prison for 14 days in each case, which means Fitzgibbon will receive three months’ hard labour and the two Pearsons 6 weeks each. Chief Constable Huish mentioned that the elder Pearson was in the habit of carrying about with him loaded firearms. A six-chambered revolver had been recovered from his house.” These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5837
Tags: boy portrait blur hat youth interesting child unitedkingdom mark coat
1907

Aerial view of the River Wear, 1973
Description: Aerial view of the River Wear showing ‘Naess Crusader’ nearing completion at the fitting out quay (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/61775B), June 1973. These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6044
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial ship piers vessel historic riverwear cranes
1973

Bulkheads in place on 'Naess Crusader'
Description: View of bulkheads in place on the 'Naess Crusader' at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland, 14 March 1972 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/2/59686B). These photographs were taken by the Newcastle-based firm Turners (Photography) Ltd. They celebrate the construction of the OBO (oil/bulk/ore) carrier ‘Naess Crusader’, covering the early stages in January 1972 through her launch on 21 December 1972 to her completion and sea trials in July 1973. ‘Naess Crusader’ and her sister ship ‘Nordic Chieftain’ were built by Sunderland Shipbuilders Ltd at the firm’s North Sands Shipyard for Anglo Eastern Bulkships Ltd. They were the largest ships ever built on the River Wear. The memory of ‘Naess Crusader’ is integral to the Sunderland Keel Line, a new public artwork, opened in 2015, which celebrates the City’s shipbuilding heritage. The Keel Line is 291.7 metres long and that distance was chosen because it represents the full length of ‘Naess Crusader’. This album is a reminder of Sunderland’s proud industrial heritage and a tribute to the skill and dedication of her shipyard workers. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10087
Tags: industry interesting construction industrial historic riverwear cranes shipyard shipping sunderland
1972

Wrecked Zeppelin from plane in Eng. [i.e. England] (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Wrecked Zeppelin from plane in Eng. [i.e. England] [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25882 Call Number: LC-B2- 4442-7
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8174
Tags: aircraft aviation wwi worldwari worldwarone airship aerialphoto libraryofcongress greatwar firstworldwar
1915

Kaiser, Crown Prince & Prince Henry (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Kaiser, Crown Prince & Prince Henry [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25877 Call Number: LC-B2- 4442-2
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3755
Tags: postcard libraryofcongress potsdam npg postkarte 5121 6121 kaiserwilhelmii xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 neuephotographischegesellschaft
1915

Miles Marten (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Miles Marten [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25832 Call Number: LC-B2- 4432-15
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7026
Tags: city musician newyork libraryofcongress citycollege xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 collegeofthecityofnewyork dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25832
1915

Chas. Courboin (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Chas. Courboin [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25831 Call Number: LC-B2- 4432-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7026
Tags: city musician newyork libraryofcongress citycollege organist xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 collegeofthecityofnewyork dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25831
1915

bcp_05155r
Description: Group in boat. The ladies were teachers at Auburn School and were on annual holidays - Terrigal, NSW Call Number: At Work and Play - 05155 Format: photograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 7051
Tags: holidays lakes boating rowing teachers terrigal
1926

Laying a ship's keel at Readhead's shipyard
Description: Laying the keel of the cargo ship ‘Crofter’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 December 1950 (TWAM ref. 1061/1086). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6179
Tags: sky industry wheel metal handle construction cabin industrial ship hole
1950

hood_13299r
Description: Departure of Strathnaver (John Longden, Cinesound) Call Number: Home and Away - 13299 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5147
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1936

David Jones' models (?) Arrival of
Description: Call Number: Home and Away - 14066 Format: film photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5925
Tags: statelibraryofnsw passengerships
1937

Labourers' Cottages
Description: Quite a bit different from the temporary "Labourer's Hut" we saw from Friday's shot, this Mason image is labelled simply "Labourers' Cottages". Do we think there's enough to go-on to determine where the shot was taken? Photographer: TH Mason Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: c.1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/31 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 12445
Tags: cottage land labour unknownlocation nationallibraryofireland associ labourerscottages masonsons masonphotographiccollection thomasholmesmason
1900