These 2,540,571 images need to be put on the map. Can you help pin their Where?

Labourers' Cottages
Description: Quite a bit different from the temporary "Labourer's Hut" we saw from Friday's shot, this Mason image is labelled simply "Labourers' Cottages". Do we think there's enough to go-on to determine where the shot was taken? Photographer: TH Mason Contributor: Thomas H. Mason & Sons photographers Collection: Mason Photographic Collection Date: c.1890-1910 NLI Ref: M57/31 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 12445
Tags: cottage land labour unknownlocation nationallibraryofireland associ labourerscottages masonsons masonphotographiccollection thomasholmesmason
1900

Presentation at the launch of 'Armanistan'
Description: A shipyard worker presenting flowers to the sponsor of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at her launch from the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 30 November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). The task was sometimes given to the oldest or youngest worker at the yard. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8078
Tags: flowers roof shadow sky abstract flower men industry window smile
1948

Launch of the cargo ship ‘Empire Clough’
Description: Launch of the cargo ship ‘Empire Clough’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 2 April 1942 (TWAM ref. 1061/1042). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12032
Tags: vessel ww2 launch shipyard southshields slipway secondworldwar rivertyne shipbuilding cargoship
1942

[Shoeless Joe Jackson, posing as catcher, Chicago AL (baseball)] (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. [Shoeless Joe Jackson, posing as catcher, Chicago AL (baseball)] [1919] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Original data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards: Jackson. Corrected title and date based on research by the Pictorial History Committee, Society for American Baseball Research, 2006. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25393 Call Number: LC-B2- 4351-4
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 3469
Tags: chicago al baseball jackson libraryofcongress whitesox catchersmitt mitt joejackson americanleague
1919

Plater's Shed at Readhead's shipyard, South Shields
Description: Profile burning machine in operation in the Plater’s Shed at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1061/1196). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7149
Tags: shadow industry window hat wall yard standing cord daylight interesting
1963

'Shahristan' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Shahristan’ on sea trials, 1938 (TWAM ref. 1061/1029). She was built at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7634
Tags: roof sea chimney sky cloud abstract blur industry window water
1938

'Trojan Prince' nearing completion
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Trojan Prince’ on the berth at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 1896 (TWAM ref. 1061/974). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6921
Tags: england sky blur industry boat wire cabin industrial ship post
1896

John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: John W. Hoole alias Thomas McNeish Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 6 July 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-260-John W Hoole AKA Thomas McNeish The Shields Daily News for 15 July 1915 reports: “PLATER’S THEFT FROM A WOMAN’S PURSE IN A NORTH SHIELDS FISH SHOP. John Wm. Hoole (23), plater, was charged on remand at North Shields yesterday with having stolen, on the 5th inst. the sum of 10s 6d, belonging to Mrs Jennie Young. Prosecutrix, the wife of Joseph Young, residing in Roseberry Avenue, Preston, said about 9pm on the 5th inst. she went into the fish shop at the corner of Borough Road and Gardner Street and sat down on a seat. She had her purse in her hand and it contained at that time 10s 6d in silver, including a half-crown and three two shilling pieces. Shortly afterwards the accused and two soldiers came in and sat down on the same form. Witness got up and left but as soon as she got to the door she remembered she had left her purse lying on the seat. She went back and saw the accused pick her purse up and hand it to a solider to give to her. When she received the purse she found it was open and the money was missing. The soldier sent for a policeman and the accused was taken into custody. Pte. Gilbert of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, at present attached to the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. Said he had known accused for about a week prior to the 5th inst. On that night accused joined witness and another soldier in a public house. He said he had no money and he had to borrow 1s from a woman before he could stand the “drinks”. Afterwards he asked them to go to the fish and chip shop. The woman who lost her purse was sitting nearest to the accused. After the woman went out and came back accused picked up the purse and asked witness to give it to the woman. Witness did so and as the woman was moving away accused handed witness a 2s piece, saying “Here’s 2s for you and your mate to get a drink”. Witness asked him where he got the money and accused replied “You never know what money you’ve got”. When the woman complained that the money had been stolen from her purse witness sent for the police so that the matter might be cleared up. Det. Graham deposed to taking the accused into custody. As he went towards accused he heard a jingle of money and afterwards found two 2s pieces on the floor near where he was sitting. He recovered 5s from the accused in addition and also the 2s from the witness Gilbert. Accused pleaded not guilty. Asked to account for the 5s which was found upon him, when he told the soldiers that he had no money at all earlier in the night, accused said he had kept quiet about that money because he needed it to get to Southampton. He had, he said, been working at Palmer’s where he earned £4 per week. The Bench found the case clearly established and a previous conviction being proved against him at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, where he was sent to gaol for six months for the theft of a watch and jewellery, they committed him to prison for one month”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 10705
Tags: portrait shirt interesting tie criminal crime cap angry mugshot unusual
1915

George Fay, soldier, arrested for stealing
Description: Name: George Fay Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-262-George Fay The Shields Daily News for 13 December 1915 reports: “CHARGES AGAINST A SOLDIER AT TYNEMOUTH. George Fay (29), a soldier, was charged at North Shields today with being an absentee from the 4th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, while stationed at the Bath Hotel, Tynemouth, on the 23rd ult. He was further charged with having stolen on the same day from a dwelling house situated at 4 Northumberland Terrace, six Treasury notes, valued at £5 10s, the property of Capt. Kenneth Woolhouse. The first charge was not proceeded with. Captain Woolhouse, of the same regiment, said that the defendant was his servant. On the 22nd ult. he changed his uniform and the notes were left in his pocket book, which was in his tunic. The defendant was reported absent the next day and witness looked in his book and found the notes had been stolen. PC Magee said that the defendant came to the police station and asked to be detained as he was an absentee. He also stated that he had stolen some money. When charged he replied “It’s quite right”. Defendant pleaded guilty and said his health made him do it and he did not get his pay regular. The defendant, who had been bound over at Whitley for larceny of a cheque, was sent to prison for six weeks with hard labour”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8918
Tags: portrait man hat soldier army interesting criminal crime mugshot unusual
1915

Identified! [Woman seated with a psychograph, a phrenology machine, on her head] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013006616&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Woman seated with a psychograph, a phrenology machine, on her head] [1931] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.36580 Call Number: LC-H2- B-4880
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 50023
Tags: libraryofcongress phrenology mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 robotphrenologist dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnphec36580
1931

Identified! [9-lens aerial mapping camera made by the Fairchild Aerial Camera Corp. for the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. It was built under the direction of Capt. O.S. Reading in 1935] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013011205&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [9-lens aerial mapping camera made by the Fairchild Aerial Camera Corp. for the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey. It was built under the direction of Capt. O.S. Reading in 1935] [1936] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.41180 Call Number: LC-H2- B-10587
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 17801
Tags: camera blackandwhite bw white black lens mono blackwhite riot pussy
1936

Identified! [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013003254&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Vivian Leroy Crisler (1885-1953), an acoustics researcher at the National Bureau of Standards, Washington, D.C., looking over a loud speaker horn used in sound penetration tests] [between 1923 and 1929] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller Notes: Title information from press notes/caption for a similar photograph and Flickr Commons Project, 2015. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.32696 Call Number: LC-H27- A-9443
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 16390
Tags: libraryofcongress acoustics physicists mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 nationalbureauofstandards usbureauofstandards acousticalresearch vlchrisler vivianleroychrisler
1923

Identified! [Paragon adjustable and reversible aircraft propeller created by Spencer Heath and tested on October 11, 1922, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C.] (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013012531&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Paragon adjustable and reversible aircraft propeller created by Spencer Heath and tested on October 11, 1922, Bolling Field, Washington, D.C.] [1922 October 11] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Title and date information from Flickr Commons Project, 2015; and Aerial Age Weekly, Dec. 1922. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.42506 Call Number: LC-H234- A-4924
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 10725
Tags: aviation heath libraryofcongress propeller mysterysolved bollingafb xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 aircraftpropeller airplanepropeller variablepitchpropeller
1922

Identified! [Daniel W. Kessler of the National Bureau of Standards with device used to test slabs of marble over long periods of time] ? (LOC)
Description: Photos displaying on either side of this one in the Prints & Photographs Online Catalog may yield clues—view the neighboring photos: www.loc.gov/pictures/related/?&pk=hec2013015072&s... Harris & Ewing,, photographer. [Daniel W. Kessler of the National Bureau of Standards with device used to test slabs of marble over long periods of time] [1925 June 9] 1 negative : glass ; 4 x 5 in. or smaller Notes: Tile from Flickr Commons Project, 2015; and based on National Photo Company Collection negative LC-F81-36073. Date based on date of negatives in same range and negative in National Photo Company Collection. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. Subjects: United States. Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print Part Of: Harris & Ewing Collection (Library of Congress) General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.hec Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hec.45047 Call Number: LC-H234- A-9742
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 11094
Tags: stone testing libraryofcongress mysterysolved xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 bureauofstandards danielwkessler dwkessler apparatususedformakinglongperiodscrubbingtestsonmarble dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnphec45047
1925

Queen Victoria Buildings, looking down George St, n.d. / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 1 - 16633 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 3344
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1920

Parade along George Street for Waratah spring festival, 13 October 1959 / unknown photographer
Description: Call no.: Government Printing Office 2 - 14323 Format: glass negative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4106
Tags: trams statelibraryofnewsouthwales
1959

Sarah Cuthill, arrested for stealing clothes
Description: Name: Sarah Cuthill Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 20 July 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-266-Sarah Cuthill The Shields Daily News for 21 July 1916 reports: “LARCENY FROM LODGINGS. GIRL BOUND OVER AT NO. SHIELDS. At North Shields today Sarah Cuthill, aged 16, of 21 Post Office Row, East Hedley Hope, was charged with having stolen various items of clothing to the value of £1 6s, the property of Annie Clark and was further charged with the larceny of a lady’s costume, a pair of gloves, valued at £1 19s 10d, the property of Elizabeth Fitzgerald. Mrs Clark said the accused came to her house, 13 Charlotte Street, on the 3rd inst. carrying a bag and asked for lodgings. She said she was working in Newcastle and had come down to North Shields for a few days. She paid 5s and witness allowed her to stay until the 9th when the girl disappeared. The witness then found that the girl’s bag was also gone and that some clothing was missing from the house. Detective-Sergt. Hall said he received Cuthill into custody from the Whitley police on Wednesday and she admitted the offence. When arrested she was wearing a silk scarf belonging to Mrs Clark. In the other case Mrs Fitzgerald, 78 Princes Street, stated that Cuthill came to her house and asked for lodgings at about 12.45pm on Sunday the 9th inst. saying that she was employed on munition work in Newcastle and that her father was a soldier stationed at the King Edward School. At about 4 o’clock in the afternoon she made some excuse and went out and noticing that the girl’s bag was gone witness looked around and saw that a costume was missing. Running to the door, she saw Cuthill walking along the street and she shouted to her. The girl turned round and walked some steps toward her, whereupon Mrs Fitzgerald went into the house again. The girl did not follow however and when the witness looked out again she was gone. Det. Hall said the girl was wearing the costume at Whitley when arrested. Cuthill admitted both offences. Sergt. Hall said there were other two charges against her at Newcastle and she had admitted those also. On the defendant’s promise to go to a home in Newcastle, she was bound over in the sum of £5 for six months”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 15076
Tags: portrait eye girl hat youth mouth newcastle nose costume clothing
1916

Robert Muir, miner, arrested for stealing potatoes
Description: Name: Robert Muir Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 17 August 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-254-Robert Muir The Shields Daily News for 17 August 1914 reports: “STEALING POTATOES. EARLY MORNING VISIT TO THE FIELDS AT PERCY MAIN. Today at North Shields, Robert Muir, miner, Mindrum Terrace, Percy Main and Chas. Bassett, miner, Norham Terrace, Percy Main, were charged with stealing from Ridges Farm, Percy Main a quantity of potatoes valued 5s, the property of Thomas Holmes, on Aug. 16. PC Abernethy stated that at 1am on the 16th inst. he was proceeding along the highway at Percy Main, when he saw the two defendants coming from the direction of Holmes’ potato field. Muir was carrying a bag and witness took possession of the bag of potatoes, which Bassett said they had got from his garden. On going to defendant’s gardens witness found the soil quite dry and he then took the defendants to Holmes’ field, Waterville Road. When they got there Bassett bolted through the hedge. In the field he noticed that the potatoes had been recently pulled. Sergt. Askew said that he later apprehended Bassett and whilst they were coming to the police station, the defendant said he would make a clean breast of it. He had come out of the house that night and met Muir. They went to the field. The potatoes were for Muir as the pits had been working badly. Mr Holmes valued the potatoes at 5s and said he had missed a large quantity from the field. The Chairman (Mr F. Graham) said the Bench would take a lenient view of the cases under the circumstances. Muir would be fined 2s 6d and costs and Bassett would be fined 10s and costs and 2s 6d damage”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8796
Tags: portrait potatoes interesting criminal crime cap mugshot unusual ww1 theft
1914

Lt. Col. Taniwaka (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Lt. Col. Taniwaka [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25159 Call Number: LC-B2- 4309-12
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 8952
Tags: japan washington wwi libraryofcongress 1917 1918 militaryattache xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 tanikawa japanesemission
1915

Viscount Ishii (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Viscount Ishii [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25154 Call Number: LC-B2- 4309-7
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 4293
Tags: japanese libraryofcongress 1917 diplomat dressuniform courtdress xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 japanesemission dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25154
1915

Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines
Description: Work in progress on two Clark-Sulzer engines at the Southwick Engine Works of George Clark (Sunderland) Ltd, May 1963 (TWAM ref. 1361/323). In the foreground is the bedplate of an 8-cylinder engine for the refrigerated cargo vessel ‘America Star’ under construction by the shipyard of Bartram & Sons Ltd. In the background is a 6-cylinder Clark-Sulzer engine for the ‘Maurice Delmas’ also under construction by Bartram & Sons Ltd. Sunderland has a remarkable history of innovation in shipbuilding and marine engineering. From the development of turret ships in the 1890s and the production of Doxford opposed piston engines after the First World War through to the designs for Liberty ships in the 1940s and SD14s in the 1960s. Sunderland has much to be proud of. Tyne & Wear Archives cares for tens of thousands of photographs in its shipbuilding collections. Most of these focus on the ships – in particular their construction, launch and sea trials. This set looks to redress the balance and to celebrate the work of the men and women who have played such a vital part in the region’s history. The images show the human side of this great story, with many relating to the world famous shipbuilding and engineering firm William Doxford & Sons Ltd. The Archives has produced a short blog to accompany these images. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7958
Tags: shadow abstract industry metal wall shirt hair kneel landscape shoe
1963

Thomas Melia, arrested for mugging a Norwegian seaman
Description: Name: Thomas Melia Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 15 December 1905 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-81-Thomas Melia The Shields Daily News for 18 December 1905 reports: “THEFT FROM THE PERSON AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, Thomas Melia (29), Causey Bank and John Casey (44), Clive Street, were charged with being concerned together in stealing 8s from a Norwegian seaman named Elens Sjursen on the 13th inst. Prosecutor stated that on the 12th inst. he was paid off from the SS Kingscote at Middlesbro’. He came to North Shields the same day, and on the following day, between 11 and 12pm he was in Clive Street, a little the worse for drink, and he met the two prisoners and asked them where a woman named Hunter lived. They said they would show him and they took him to a house and as he was about to go in Casey struck him in the face, blackening his right eye, and Melia got him by the neck and took his money out of his pocket after which they made off. Further evidence having been given by two women, who witnessed the assault and robbery, and Detective Sergt. Scougal, who arrested them, the accused were formally charged and pleaded not guilty. Previous convictions were put in against both prisoners and the magistrates sent them to prison for a month”. As this report indicates it certainly wasn’t Melia’s first brush with the law. The Shields Daily News for 6 February 1905 reports: “AN UNMITIGATED SHAMELESS BLACKGUARD. EXEMPLARY PUNISHMENT. At North Shields Police Court today, Thomas Melia (29), Causey Bank, was charged with living upon the proceeds of the prostitution of Bridget Lamb, between Oct 1st and Jan 31st. Evidence having been given, the Chairman (Mr T. Young) said the accused was the most unmitigated, shameless blackguard that had ever been brought before them and he would have to go to prison for 3 months with hard labour”. These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7491
Tags: beard interesting assault historic moustache criminal prostitution crime cap mugshot
1905

Ballykinlar internment camp players: a troupe of prisoners formed during their period of internment
Description: This interesting Hogan photograph shows a group of men who were interned in Ballykinlar together. Here shown after taking part in some amateur dramatics. Ballykinlar Internment Camp, County Down, was a detention centre for republican prisoners during the War of Independence, and while it's possible that the photo was taken there circa 1921, the troupe also performed in Dublin in 1922 (after release). Whether it was during internment or afterwards, sharon.corbet and Carol Maddock highlight some incredible sources (including the fantastic program and posters sourced by Sharon from the camp itself). The Freeman's Journal article of 1922, which Carol sourced, indicates that the Ballykinlar Players are likely shown here in costume for "The Lord Mayor", a play in three acts by Edward McNulty. From the article:  The leading role is filled by Mr. K[it] Mullen, who makes the ideal “strong, silent man of the Corporation”, and his scheming wife, Mrs. O’Brien, is well represented by Miceal O Leimne. Dick Saunders sustains with marked ability the part of Moira O’Brien. Jimmie [Seamus or JJ] Mulkerns (The Rajah) interprets Gaffney faultlessly, and Paddy Byrne acts with spirit as Gaffney’s clerk. The other parts are taken by Liam Wilson, Tom Fullam, George Hogan (creditors), Mick Gaynor (Major Butterfield), Jas. Mallon (servant), Peter Mulvey and Sean Connolly (charwomen).  Freeman’s Journal, 7 February 1922 Photographer: W. D. Hogan Collection: Hogan-Wilson Collection Date: circa 1921 NLI Ref.: HOGW 132 You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie
Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Views: 34777
Tags: actors prisoners internmentcamp amateurdramatics warofindependence nationallibraryofireland ballykinlar thelordmayor wdhogan hoganwilsoncollection
1921

Thomas H. Watson, arrested while preparing to commit a crime
Description: Name: Thomas H. Watson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 11 September 1906 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-93-Thomas H Watson The Shields Daily News for 11 September 1906 reports: “SUSPECTS ON BOARD SHIP AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields Police Court today, James Jefferson (18) and Thomas Watson (17) were charged with being on board the brig Widgeon, supposed for the purpose of committing a felony, on the 10th inst. PC Colpitts said that at 10.30 pm on the date in question he was on duty on the New Quay when he saw two figures creeping along the deck of the brig Widgeon. He jumped on board and the accused at once concealed themselves. He found Jefferson crouching at the foot of the mast and Watson hiding behind a coil of rope. Neither of them had their boots on. When he asked them what they were doing there they both replied “Nothing”. He took them to the mate, who said they had no right on board the vessel. Witness knew them both to be convicted thieves and Jefferson was a dangerous character. The accused denied being on board the vessel with any felonious intention. Jefferson who made his 19th appearance, was committed for a month with hard labour and Watson who appeared for the third time was sent to gaol for 7 days, also with hard labour”. These images are a selection from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 in the collection of Tyne & Wear Archives (TWA ref DX1388/1). This set contains mugshots of boys and girls under the age of 21. This reflects the fact that until 1970 that was the legal age of majority in the UK. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12215
Tags: boy portrait blur male eye face childhood shirt youth scarf
1906

hood_06330r
Description: Crowds on the wharf farewell passengers on the P&O Moldavia with streamers, Pyrmont The sight of an overseas liner festooned with coloured streamers leaving Pyrmont for distant ports has long gone. These friends and relatives are farewelling passengers on the P&O RMS Moldavia, bound for Britain. The RMS Moldavia was not one of the company's better ships. Built in 1922, it was upgraded with a false second funnel in early 1928 to give it the appearance of a liner, but it still steamed at a miserly 16 knots. This no doubt gave the 850 passengers plenty of time to enjoy the vessel's library of 400 books. Call Number: Home and Away - 6330 Format: glass photonegative Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?i... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5090
Tags: pyrmont departures moldavia statelibraryofnsw passengerships samhood pormsmoldavia
1928

Stern view of the cargo ship 'Armanistan'
Description: Starboard stern view of the cargo ship ‘Armanistan’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, November 1948 (TWAM ref. 1061/1079). She was launched on 30 November 1948. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6338
Tags: door roof sky cloud abstract building london industry window glass
1948

Mrs. E.R. Stettitinus (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mrs. E.R. Stettitinus [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25576 Call Number: LC-B2- 4379-13a
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9755
Tags: hat feathers libraryofcongress carrington featheredhats xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 stettinius judithcarrington dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25576 edwardrileystettinius
1915

The cargo ship 'Queenmoor' heading on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship ‘Queenmoor’ on sea trials, 1924 (TWAM ref. 1061/998). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields on 8 December 1923. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6305
Tags: sea water vessel shipping southshields rivertyne shipbuilding cargoship johnreadheadsonsltd queenmoor
1924

View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW)
Description: Title: View of the Warrumbungle Ranges, Coonabarabran (NSW) Dated: No date Digital ID: 12932_a012_a012X2441000021 Series: NRS 12932 Original Prints of Photographs used in NSW trains Rights: No known copyright restrictions www.records.nsw.gov.au/about-us/rights-and-permissions We'd love to hear from you if you use our photos/documents. Many other photos in our collection are available to view and browse on our website using Photo Investigator.
Owner: State Archives NSW
Views: 3249
Tags: blackandwhite view hills archives newsouthwales bushwalk staterecordsnsw coonabarabrannsw
2004

a1887028h
Description: H.3. A large erratic resting on gneiss Cape Denison area Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4014
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition
1911

a1887038h
Description: H.29. Snow petrels mated at nest. Cape Denison Call Number: ON 144 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4969
Tags: stereograph antarcticexpedition taxonomy:binomial=pagodromanivea taxonomy:common=snowpetrel
1911

Launch of the cargo ship 'Kelmscott'
Description: Launch of the cargo ship ‘Kelmscott’ at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 7 May 1943 (TWAM ref. 1061/1049). Note the shipyard workers at the bottom left of the picture. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6860
Tags: wood sky blur reflection industry public hat metal workers construction
1943

a9600008h
Description: Stereographs taken during a tour of the Southern Goldfields, New South Wales and Victoria, May-June 1860 / attributed to Edward Wolstenholme Ward Call Number: PXB 598 Format: stereograph Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4672
Tags: stereograph goldrush earlyphotography
1860

James George Chase, munitions worker, arrested for obtaining money by false pretences
Description: Name: James G. Chase Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 22 January 1916 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-264-James G Chase The Shields Daily News for 28 January 1916 reports: “FALSE PRETENCES CASE AT NORTH SHIELDS. At North Shields today, James George Chase (23), a munition worker, residing at Lynn Villa, Billy Mill, was brought up on remand, charged with having unlawfully obtained by false pretences, from Joseph Emery, the sum of £20, with intent to cheat and defraud, between Dec. 13th and Jan. 17th. Joseph Emery stated in May last he became acquainted with the defendant. During the latter part of that month the defendant told him something about an estate in Australia, valued at £70,000. About the 17th December, witness received a letter, which was supposed to have come from a detective at Scotland Yard, and his wife received a wire for £10 to be sent to the defendant in London, and witness sent it. On the 10th inst. the defendant returned from London and handed witness a sealed envelope. He opened it and found it contained two documents. After reading them, defendant asked is he was satisfied and he said it seemed to be alright. On the 17th inst. the defendant asked for another £10 and witness gave it to him. On the 21st inst. witness communicated with the police and on the 22nd obtained a warrant for the defendant’s arrest. Det. Radcliffe stated that on the 22nd inst. he arrested the defendant in Saville Street, and brought him to the Central Police Station. He read the warrant over and defendant replied “I can’t say anything until I have seen Mr Emery”. Afterwards he said there was no truth in the statement regarding the fortune. When charged this morning he replied “I admit everything: I know I have done wrong”. Defendant pleaded guilty and had nothing to say. Mr Emery, recalled, said he had not believed half the defendant’s statements from the first. The defendant had said that a young man had to go with him to Australia as a bodyguard to bring the money back. The defendant was committed to prison for one month in the second division.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 18803
Tags: portrait england man money face shirt mark grain deception property
1916

Engine room of the bulk carrier 'Fernspring'
Description: View inside the engine room of the bulk carrier ‘Fernspring’, May 1967 (TWAM ref. DT.TUR/6/50669B). She was launched at the North Sands shipyard, Sunderland on 30 December 1966 and was fitted with a Doxford Engine. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 6745
Tags: industry industrial ship vessel maritime sunderland engineroom bulkcarrier shipbuilding fernspring
1967

The cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials
Description: View of the cargo ship 'Min' on sea trials, 1922 (TWAM ref. 1061/997). She was launched at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons, South Shields on 25 May 1922. This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7559
Tags: sea water marine smoke vessel maritime shipping southshields min shipbuilding
1922

31_a6962050h
Description: The 4th anniversary, the cause of it all holds a levee, 3 Aug 1918 Call Number: PXD 518/nos. 198-280 Format: drawing Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4421
Tags: cartoon firstworldwar thedailytelegraph
1918

Crown Prince Germany at front (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Crown Prince Germany at front [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25316 Call Number: LC-B2- 4340-7
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 2903
Tags: photographer wwi libraryofcongress february 1915 argonne wilhelm verdun kronprinz xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11
1915

Launch of the cargo ship 'Baron Belhaven'
Description: View of the cargo ship Baron Belhaven entering the River Tyne after launch at the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons Ltd, South Shields, 2 November 1959 (TWAM ref. 1061/1121). This set celebrates the achievements of the shipyard of John Readhead & Sons. The firm has played a significant role in the North East’s illustrious shipbuilding history and the development of South Shields. The company began in 1865 when John Readhead, a shipyard manager, entered into business with J Softley at a small yard on the Lawe at South Shields. Following the dissolution of the partnership in 1872, it continued as John Readhead & Co on the same site until 1880 when the High West Yard was purchased. After Readhead’s four sons were taken into the business in 1888 the company traded as John Readhead & Sons becoming a limited company in 1908. In 1968 the company was absorbed by the Swan Hunter Group and in 1977 became part of the nationalised British Shipbuilders. In the same year the last vessel was launched and the site was sold off in 1984. Readheads was prolific and built over 600 ships from 1865 to 1968, including 87 vessels for the Hain Steamship Company Ltd and over forty for the Strick Line Ltd. The shipyard also built four ships for the Prince Line, founded by Sir James Knott. The firm built vessels, which were involved in the major conflicts of the Twentieth Century. During the First World War they built patrol vessels and ‘x’ lighters (motor landing craft used in the Gallipoli campaign) for the Admiralty. During the Second World War the firm built tankers for the Normandy Landings. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7722
Tags: sky cloud abstract blur building industry water standing river vent
1959

Robert Jackson, hawker, arrested for stealing money
Description: Name: Robert Jackson Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Arrested on: 2 July 1915 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-260-Robert Jackson The Shields Daily News for 5 July 1915 reports: “THEFT OF £5. NEWCASTLE MAN GETS SIX MONTHS HARD LABOUR AT NORTH SHIELDS. Robert Jackson (31) a hawker, of 2 Carlisle Street, Newcastle, was charged at North Shields today, with having stolen, on the 1st inst., £5, the property of John Mackie, while in the Golden Fleece Inn, New Quay. John Mackie, a naval stoker, said that at 7.15pm on the 1st inst. he was in the Golden Fleece Inn, New Quay, and had some words with another man. Witness said the man was a German, and he (witness) would give him £5 if he could prove that he was an Englishman, Scotchman or an Irishman. He laid the £5 on the counter and defendant came across and picked it up. John W. Herd said he was in the bar at the time and he told the defendant to give the prosecutor his money back. Defendant said “There is half a sovereign: that’s all I’ve got”. Defendant denied this. Sergt. Askew stated that he arrested defendant shortly after 7.15 on that night. When charging him the sergeant was suspicious and asked defendant what he had in his mouth. Defendant opened his mouth and took out a sovereign. Jackson then asked if he could speak to the man who was charging him. He was under the influence of drink at the time. When charged the next day, defendant denied having stolen the money. Defendant pleaded not guilty and said the money he put in his mouth was his own. He put it there because it looked suspicious. Chief Constable Huish said that in 1913 defendant was committed for 18 months for assault and robbery and in February this year he was again committed for three months. Defendant asked for a chance and he would join the army, but he was committed to prison for six months with hard labour.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7672
Tags: prisoner crime criminal northshields policestation mugshot arrested firstworldwar theft stealing
1915

Jane Agnes Duffy, arrested for theft
Description: Name: Jane A. V. Duffy Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 9 December 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-250-Jane A V Duffy The Shields Daily News for 9 December 1914 reports: “A YOUNG WOMAN IN TROUBLE. Today at North Shields, Jane Agnes Duffy (19), 61 Westcott Road, South Shields, was charged with stealing a gold brooch, a gold ring, and a silk blouse value £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, on the 27th inst. The prosecutrix said that at 18.15 pm on the 26th ult. she was in Bedford Street, when the accused was brought to her and she asked if witness could give her board and lodgings. She stated that she had just got work at a drapers and would pay her 15s a week for board and lodgings. Witness took her home. Next morning the defendant got up at 9 o’clock, and while witness was cleaning the step the defendant ran out by the back, and witness missed the articles mentioned. Detective Sweeney of Wallsend said he arrested the accused on another charge on the 28th ult. and found the items mentioned in her possession. Detective-Sergt. Hall deposed to recovering the property from the last witness and receiving the accused into custody after she had been dealt with by the magistrates at Wallsend. The mother of the girl told the magistrates that her daughter had no reason to steal, having a good home and having been well brought up, but she was rather weak in mind and had given her some trouble. The clerk enquired why the magistrates at Wallsend had bound her over for 12 months under probation. Detective Sweeney said that the mother and the solicitor representing her promised to put her into a home. Mrs Duffy said that Father Turner had promised to look after her and put her into a home for feeble-minded at Carlisle and an arrangement was made that she would go into the Harton Workhouse in the meanwhile. The girl, however, objected to going to the workhouse and wanted to go home. The case was remanded for a day.” The Shields Daily News for 17 December 1914 reports: “SOUTH SHIELDS GIRL BOUND OVER. The remanded charge against Jane Agnes Duffy (19), Westcott Terrace, South Shields of stealing a gold brooch, a keeper ring and a blouse, valued in all at £1 12s 6d, the property of Barbara Cunningham, Trevor Terrace, North Shields, came up for hearing this morning. The case has several times been adjourned in order that a place should be found for the girl in a home. The Bench on one occasion expressed their opinion that they did not think she had been properly looked after at home. This morning, the Bench, after due consideration of the case and circumstances, decided to bind the girl over for twelve months in the mother’s surety of 40s, to be of good behaviour.” These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 12929
Tags: shadow portrait eye face hat scarf mouth hair nose head
1914

Royal Flying Corps officers in front of a BE2b.
Description: Can anyone identify the plane? From the Robert McKenzie fonds, PR1991.0305/56.
Owner: Provincial Archives of Alberta
Views: 9706
Tags: airplane aircraft aviation wwi worldwarone greatwar firstworldwar biplane militaryaviation rfc
1916

c041680031h
Description: An Indian at Anzac Beach. Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey. c May 1915. Call Number: SLIDES 307 Format: stereographs, glass; Find more detailed information about this photograph: www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemLargeCopyright.cg... Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4419
Tags: gallipoli anzaccove trenchwarfare may1915
1915

Thomas Dodds, labourer, arrested for robbery
Description: Name: Thomas Dodds Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 3 October 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-256-Thomas Dodds For an image of his accomplice Mark Schidlossky see www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/21412004993/in/dateposted/. The Shields Daily News for 5 October 1914 reports: “GOING THROUGH SEAMAN’S POCKETS. ONE MONTH FOR THIEVES AT NO. SHIELDS. Today at North Shields, Mark Schidlossky, seaman, Russia and Thomas Dodds, labourer, South Shields, were charged with stealing 5s from the person of James McLeod on the New Quay. McLeod said he was proceeding to his ship, which was lying at Smith’s Dock, when he was accosted by two men, whom he now recognised. They pushed him up against the wall and took everything from his pockets. John Michael Graham, Lawson Street, said he saw the two men holding the prosecutor and going through his pockets. PC Pallister said the Russian said in answer to the charge “I got no money” and the other man made no reply. The first prisoner had 2s 10d and the other 1s 2d in their possession. The Bench committed the defendants to prison for one month each”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 7937
Tags: portrait interesting newquay criminal crime cap mugshot unusual ww1 robbery
1914

George Bamlett, grocer, arrested for assault
Description: Name: George Bamlett Arrested for: not given Arrested at: North Shields Police Station Arrested on: 19 October 1914 Tyne and Wear Archives ref: DX1388-1-256-George Bamlett The Shields Daily News for 19 October 1914 reports: “ASSAULT ON GIRL AT NO. SHIELDS. Today at North Shields George Bamlette (41), grocer, of 67 Wapping Street, South Shields, was sent to prison for one month for an assault on a girl under 16 years of age, in a place of amusement in the town, on Saturday”. These images are taken from an album of photographs of prisoners brought before the North Shields Police Court between 1902 and 1916 (TWAM ref. DX1388/1). This set is our selection of the best mugshots taken during the First World War. They have been chosen because of the sharpness and general quality of the images. The album doesn’t record the details of each prisoner’s crimes, just their names and dates of arrest. In order to discover the stories behind the mugshots, staff from Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums visited North Shields Local Studies Library where they carefully searched through microfilm copies of the ‘Shields Daily News’ looking for newspaper reports of the court cases. The newspaper reports have been transcribed and added below each mugshot. Combining these two separate records gives us a fascinating insight into life on the Home Front during the First World War. These images document the lives of people of different ages and backgrounds, both civilians and soldiers. Our purpose here is not to judge them but simply to reflect the realities of their time. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 8266
Tags: portrait shirt interesting tie assault moustache criminal crime cap mugshot
1914

British watch shelling near Wancourt (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. British watch shelling near Wancourt [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.25108 Call Number: LC-B2- 4300-10
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 9026
Tags: france june photographer wwi libraryofcongress 1917 wancourt ernestbrooks xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain25108
1915

Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier works, 1891
Description: Visit of the Marquis of Londonderry to Roker Pier, 28 October 1891 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). On this occasion the Marquis placed a stone inscribed ‘Londonderry 28.10.91 in a concrete block to be laid in the pier head at a future date. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4932
Tags: piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier marquisoflondonderry riverwearcommissioners
1891

Dignitaries assembled on Roker Pier, 1895
Description: Dignitaries assemble on Roker Pier to watch a block being laid during the visit of the Channel Fleet to Sunderland, 10 September 1895 (TWAM ref. 3768/8). The Sunderland Daily Echo reported that on 10 September 1895 “Admiral Lord Walter Kerr, in the presence of his staff, members of the River Wear Commission and many influential gentleman laid a 45 ton block in the new Pier. This set of images relates to Roker Pier, Sunderland and is taken from a scrapbook kept by Henry Hay Wake, chief engineer to the River Wear Commission. Henry Wake designed Roker Pier and also oversaw its construction from beginning to end. The Pier' s foundation stone was laid in September 1885 and it was formally opened on 23 September 1903. The Pier is 2,800 feet long and was built of Aberdeen granite and concrete cement at a total cost of £290,000. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 5124
Tags: crane piers victorians sunderland 1890s civilengineering victorianera rokerpier channelfleet riverwearcommissioners
1895

Cicimurus regius, King Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: Rb /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4811
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

Parotia lawesi, Lawes Bird of Paradise from John Gould’s the Birds of New Guinea and the adjacent Papuan islands, London, 1875-1888
Description: Call Number: RB /RF598.2984/4 Vol 1 Format: Colour plate in book Find more detailed information about this illustration: library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b2666391~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 5659
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise johngould
1880

L'Emiraude from  L'Histoire des grimpereaux et des oiseaux de paradis.
Description: Call Number: RB F0075 Find more detailed information about this illustration library.sl.nsw.gov.au/record=b1260696~S2 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx <a From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 10106
Tags: papuanewguinea birdsofparadise louisjeanpierrevieillot jeanbaptisteaudebert
1825

A seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’
Description: View inside a seaman's cabin on the tanker ‘Borgsten’, January 1964 (TWAM ref. DS.JLT/4/PH/1/709/7/12). She was built by J.L. Thompson & Sons Ltd, North Sands, Sunderland. This set celebrates the achievements of the famous Sunderland shipbuilding firm Joseph L. Thompson & Sons. The company’s origins date back to 1846 when the firm was known as Robert Thompson & Sons. Robert Thompson senior died in 1860, leaving his second son Joseph Lowes Thompson in control. In 1870 the shipyard completed its last wooden vessel and was then adapted for iron shipbuilding. By 1880 the firm had expanded its operations over much of North Sands and in 1884 completed the construction of Manor Quay, which served as fitting out and repair facilities. For many years in the late nineteenth century the yard was the most productive in Sunderland and in 1894 had the fourth largest output of any shipyard in the world. The Depression affected the firm severely in the early 1930s and no vessels were launched from 1931 to 1934. However, during those years the company developed a hull design giving greater efficiency and economy in service. During the Second World War the prototype developed by Joseph L. Thompson & Sons proved so popular that it was used by the US Government as the basis of over 2,700 Liberty ships built at American shipyards between 1942 and 1945. After the War the North Sands shipyard went on to build many fine cargo ships, oil tankers and bulk carriers. Sadly the shipyard closed in 1979, although it briefly reopened in 1986 to construct the crane barge ITM Challenger. (Copyright) We're happy for you to share these digital images within the spirit of The Commons. Please cite 'Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' when reusing. Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply though; if you're unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
Views: 4450
Tags: cabin ship vessel tanker sunderland shipbuilding seaman borgsten jlthompsonsonsltd northsandssunderland
1964

Student Action for Aborigines protest outside Moree Town Hall and Council Chambers, February 1965 / The Tribune
Description: Can you help identify the people and places documented in this photograph? Call Number:ON 161/221 Format: Photograph 35 mm Find more detailed information about this photograph:http://www.acmssearch.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/itemDetailPaged.cgi?itemID=965299 Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx For more information about Indigenous Services at the State Library of NSW: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/indigenous/index.html Protocols for Libraries and Archives. Further information on the ATSILIRN Protocols is available here: atsilirn.aiatsis.gov.au/protocols.php#_=_ From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Owner: State Library of New South Wales collection
Views: 4893
Tags: moree statelibraryofnsw freedomrides1965 studentactionforaborigines
1965

Mabel Garrison & Capt. Pierce (LOC)
Description: Bain News Service,, publisher. Mabel Garrison & Capt. Pierce [between ca. 1915 and ca. 1920] 1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller. Notes: Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards. Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress). Format: Glass negatives. Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication. Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.24918 Call Number: LC-B2- 4273-8
Owner: The Library of Congress
Views: 7703
Tags: libraryofcongress dc:identifier=httphdllocgovlocpnpggbain24918 xmlns:dc=httppurlorgdcelements11 ussrecruit1917 manhattan unionsquare unitedstatesnavy usnavy usn ussrecruit
1915