(Buy exclusive prints of this image from East Riding Photos
This advertisement is for ‘Walter Evans For Boot and Shoes of Noted Quality.’
The shop premises at 58 Market Place has always seemed to be associated with the clothing trade. It was built in 1777, by Beverley builder William Middleton.
By around 1840, the shop was occupied by Samuel Shaw, a tailor and draper. In 1886, the premises was taken over by Thomas Evans and by 1905 was passed on to another member of the family, Walter Evans, as seen in the picture.
In 1985 it was taken over by ‘Edinburgh Woollen Mill’
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons