(Buy exclusive historic East Yorkshire prints from East Riding Photos
This vintage view of the Minster from Friary Lane is quite interesting as it shows a level crossing over the Hull to Scarborough line where there is now a footbridge. The railway came to Beverley in 1846, courtesy of the Hull and Selby Railway Company, which belonged to George Hudson, the Railway King. At this time the road was part of Chantry Lane, but was renamed Friars Lane in 1928. The station was built on land known as the Trinities, on the site of a medieval hospital. Behind the wall on the right is the Dominican Friary.
(Why not try searching our East Riding of Yorkshire Map
for more historic images?
(Copyright) We're happy for you to share this digital image within the spirit of Creative Commons.
Please cite 'East Riding Archives
' when reusing.
Certain restrictions on high quality reproductions and commercial use of the original physical version apply. If unsure please email [email protected]
Owner: East Riding Archives
Source: Flickr Commons