Meeting the neighbours

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Leinster, Meath, Ireland

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Having been to visit Lord Dunsany last week from on high we now get an opportunity, thanks to Monkey Morgan, to visit his neighbours in Killeen Castle, Co. Meath. Looking at the shot one can see the way the outbuildings are set at an angle to the castle proper in such a way that they do not impede the view for the main house?

Photographer: Alexander Campbell “Monkey” Morgan

Collection: Morgan Aerial Photographic Collection

Date: ca. 1954 -1957

NLI Ref: NPA MOR89

You can also view this image, and many thousands of others, on the NLI’s catalogue at catalogue.nli.ie

Info:

Owner: National Library of Ireland on The Commons
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 5882
morganaerialphotographiccollection nationallibraryofireland ireland bw alexandercampbellmorgan captainacmorgan monkeymorgan piperapache eiajl westonaerodrome phaseboxes mylar aerial killeencastle comeath leinster

Add Tags
  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 11/Feb/2022 09:03:21

    Home of more Plunketts, the Earls of Fingal. Arthur James Plunkett at home in 1911 in Killeen castle with his wife, daughter, 12 servants, one visitor and the visitors valet. Housekeeper, Butler, Cook, Lady's maid, two footmen, three housemaids, a kitchen and a scullery maid plus a chauffeur. All very Downton Abbey. Only 2.5 km from Dunsany Castle as the crow flies.

  • profile

    ɹǝqɯoɔɥɔɐǝq

    • 11/Feb/2022 09:19:30

    [https://www.flickr.com/photos/gnmcauley] Ahem! "as the Monkey flies !" Satellite (3D is not very good) - www.google.com/maps/@53.5362581,-6.5953455,641a,35y,336.8...

  • profile

    Niall McAuley

    • 11/Feb/2022 09:27:06

    Per wikipedia, the castle had a rough time after this date: The 12th Earl of Fingall (1896-1984), the last to hold the earldom, sold Killeen Castle and its remaining estate in 1951, to Sir Victor Sassoon... In 1953, the Earl and Countess moved to a modern house built on the lands, and most of the house contents were sold.... Sassoon died in 1961 and his heirs sold the estate on in 1963, to French art dealer and major racehorse owner, Daniel Wildenstein... In 1978, the castle and estate were sold to advertiser Basil Brindley, who continued the stud farm operation. On 16 May 1981, the castle was burnt out in an arson attack, being left abandoned for many years... In 1989, a new development plan was proposed ... including the conversion of the castle into a high-end hotel, the installation of a championship standard golf course... The 18-hole championship course was designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 2008

  • profile

    ɹǝqɯoɔɥɔɐǝq

    • 11/Feb/2022 09:38:27

    During the 2005 restoration via [https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaellynas/] [https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaellynas/54531276/] From an album - flic.kr/s/74nk

  • profile

    ɹǝqɯoɔɥɔɐǝq

    • 11/Feb/2022 09:50:38

    Mr French / Lawrence was there earlier. Lost in the catalogue as mis-titled "Kileen Cottage" - catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000328916 catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000328917

  • profile

    ɹǝqɯoɔɥɔɐǝq

    • 11/Feb/2022 10:04:25

    In 1967 a bit part in a Bond movie, 'Casino Royale' !! - youtu.be/vul2MAslcnk FORE! - youtu.be/UMcnWkLIHU8

  • profile

    nannyjean35

    • 12/Feb/2022 17:53:52

    lovely

  • profile

    Aidrean S

    • 02/Mar/2022 12:06:31

    What a beautiful castle, it has a rich history dating back to 1180. The current building burnt down due to an arson attack back in 1981 and restoration works began within the castle in 2005 and in 2008, they inaugurated a golf course on its grounds to host the Solheim Cup 2011.