Madam Butterfly, Princess Theatre, Woolloongabba, 1937

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: 01 January 1937

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Creator: F. W. (Frederick William) Thiel - Queensland Performing Arts Centre.

Location: Woolloongabba, Queensland.

Description: On stage photograph of the Marie Knight Corkran Operatic Society production of 'Madam Butterfly' at the Princess Theatre. Standing in front of an elaborately painted oriental backcloth is, from left to right, the male and female chorus in Japanese-style costume, Kenneth Neate as Pinkerton, W. R. A. McAlpine as the Bonze, and Marie Knight Corkran as Madam Butterfly and an unidentified man. The orchestra is visible in front of the stage.

View the original image at the State Library of Queensland: hdl.handle.net/10462/QPAT/deriv/11.

Information about State Library of Queensland’s collection: www.slq.qld.gov.au/research-collections.

You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute Queensland Performing Arts Centre.

Info:

Owner: State Library of Queensland, Australia
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 769
stage performance actor actress theatre hall cast theatrical costume dancers microphone stagesetting rincess madam butterfly opera state library queensland orchestra singers japanise style costumes scenography marieknightcorkranoperaticsociety princesstheatre madambutterfly

Add Tags
  • profile

    vesna0103

    • 16/Mar/2022 10:33:50

    The heritage-listed Princess Theatre is the only remaining 19th-century theatre in Brisbane. It was built during the economic and building boom of the 1880s at a time when live entertainment was popular and ornate theatres were the norm. The theatre was designed by Brisbane architect John Beauchamp Nicholson who also designed other heritage-listed buildings including the Taylor-Heaslop Building and Norman Hotel in Woolloongabba. In 1892 it was renamed the Boggo Road Theatre. In 1893 John Hardgrave bought it from his son and called it the Princess Theatre. In 1899 it was bought by draper John Finney who turned it into a clothing factory. From 1912 to the 1920s it was a silent movie theatre, with Charlie Chaplin films drawing big crowds. From 1942 to 1945 the theatre was used as the administrative and rehearsal centre for the United States Entertainment Unit. It continued to be used by other public theatre and dance groups as well as for boxing matches and public meetings. Due to declining attendances, the theatre was closed to the public from 1949 – 1985 and was rented to a variety of small business enterprises including a secondhand dealer, paper wholesaler, and an engineering firm. From 1948-to 1979 the stage and backstage area were leased to a printing firm. In 1985 the REMM group purchased the building and carried out extensive external restoration. The Twelfth Night Theatre Group accepted a ten-year lease and carried out internal refurbishments. Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties, their last performance was in 1991. In 2001 it was leased by the Metro Central Community Church (now Lifecity Church) and bought by them in 2003. Church services and other events are held in the former theatre and the venue is hired out theatre performances, events and weddings. Original interior features such as the plaster ceilings and architraves, plush velvet curtains, polished floors are intact. Source: kangaroopointhistory.com.au/places/theatres/