CO 1069-450-23

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: 港島, 南區, 香港

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Description: The Central Market.

Location: Hongkong, Hongkong

Date: 1897

------------------------------------------------------

Our Catalogue Reference: Part of CO 1069/450.

This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives. Feel free to share it within the spirit of the Commons.

Please use the comments section below the pictures to share any information you have about the people, places or events shown. We have attempted to provide place information for the images automatically but our software may not have found the correct location.

For high quality reproductions of any item from our collection please contact our image library

Info:

Owner: The National Archives UK
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 9203
hongkong thenationalarchivesuk asiathroughalens asia tna:piecereference=co1069p450 tna:subseriesreference=co1069ss3 tna:iaid=c11443696 tna:seriesreference=co1069 tna:divisionreference=cod32 tna:departmentreference=co

Add Tags
  • profile

    hphbhk

    • 28/Jul/2013 18:42:52

    The precursor of the market was Canton Bazaar, which was established in 1842 on Queen's Road Central between Cochrane Street and Graham Street. In 1843 it was also known as the Middle Bazaar. The Chinese population were later forced to relocate from Central to the Tai Ping Shan area due to a series of fires. The market was then replaced by residential houses for Europeans. The bazaar was moved to Queensway, where the present-day High Court stands. It housed Chinese furniture dealers, joiners, cabinet makers and curio shops. Due to its proximity of Naval Yard and the construction of cantonment, the bazaar, shops and civil tenement had to be moved. In the 1850s, it was moved to its current location on Des Voeux Road (then known as The Praya). Its name also changed to Central Market (中環街市). The market was rebuilt in 1858, then completely replaced with a Western marble structure in 1895. The rebuilt market was a three-storey Victorian-style structure with a tower in the middle.