CO 1069-450-19

Download this image

More from this collection

Related by When

Related by Where

Research Help!

Where: 港島, 南區, 香港

Try to find the spot where the photographer was standing.

When: Unknown

Try to find the date or year when this image was made.
Description: Queen's College.

Location: Hongkong, Hongkong

Date: 1897

------------------------------------------------------

Our Catalogue Reference: Part of CO 1069/450.

This image is part of the Colonial Office photographic collection held at The National Archives. Feel free to share it within the spirit of the Commons.

Please use the comments section below the pictures to share any information you have about the people, places or events shown. We have attempted to provide place information for the images automatically but our software may not have found the correct location.

For high quality reproductions of any item from our collection please contact our image library

Info:

Owner: The National Archives UK
Source: Flickr Commons
Views: 9128
hongkong thenationalarchivesuk asiathroughalens asia tna:piecereference=co1069p450 tna:subseriesreference=co1069ss3 tna:iaid=c11443696 tna:seriesreference=co1069 tna:divisionreference=cod32 tna:departmentreference=co

Add Tags
  • profile

    hphbhk

    • 28/Jul/2013 18:39:24

    The Central School was established in 1862 at Gough Street, Central. Dr. Frederick Stewart was appointed the first Headmaster of the Central School, as well as Inspector of Schools in the Colony. The Headmaster of the Central School was responsible for supervising all schools in Hong Kong until March 1879 when the Government established a separate office for the Inspector of Schools, predecessor of the Department of Education, which was later incorporated into the Education Bureau. During the school's early years, the student population consisted of a variety of nationalities. Whereas Chinese students enrolled in English, students from other nationalities were expected to study Chinese classics. Secular schooling sparked much controversies among the Hong Kong Governor and religious leaders. In many occasions, the Governor personally scrutinized and intervened the school operations. The Government later established a grant program to put religious schools at the same funding level as the Central School. On 26 April 1884, Sir George Bowen, Governor from 1883 to 1887, administered the stone-laying ceremony for the new school building at Aberdeen Street. As a student, Sun Yat-sen also attended the ceremony. On the recommendation of the Governor, the Central School was to be known as Victoria College when it moved to the new site. The school moved to Aberdeen Street in 1889. At that time, the school was one of the largest and most expensive buildings in Hong Kong. In 1894, the school was renamed Queen's College. The Government originally planned to expand the College to an imperial university in the late 19th century, but it was abandoned due to the outbreak and Russo-Japanese War in 1904, when the British colonial government worried about the benefits it enjoyed in the Far-East may be jeopardised by the expanding Japanese power. Therefore, it was crucial to establish a university with the purpose to train graduates in war-related subjects, such as engineering and medicine, and this led to the establishment of the University of Hong Kong in 1910, while Queen's College remained as a secondary school in Hong Kong. The Japanese invasion forced school closure in 1941. During the Japanese occupation, the school site was used as the Army Headquarters. As a result, the Aberdeen Street campus was destroyed by Allied bombing during the War. The two notable cannons at the current school entrance were found in the rubble at Aberdeen Street. After World War II, the school re-opened in a temporary site on Kennedy Road in 1947, sharing a campus with Clementi Secondary School. It moved to the present site on Causeway Road, opposite Victoria Park, on 22 September 1950. A tourist tour on the history of Sun Yat-sen usually includes the location of the first site of the school at Gough Street, Central.