Local call number:
Union Bank Building shown after move to Apalachee Parkway and restoration as a museum: Tallahassee, Florida
Union Bank was established in 1841 by William Williams as Tallahassee's first bank. It closed during the Seminole Wars, largely due to the Panic of 1837. The bank was purchased by plantation owners William Bailey and Issac Mitchell in 1847 to finance cotton agriculture in the Red Hills region. After the Civil War, the bank became the Freedman's Savings and Trust Company for emancipated slaves. In 1971, the bank was moved from Adams Street to its present location on Apalachee Parkway. It now serves as an extension of the Southeastern Regional Black Archives operated by Florida A&M University.
1 photoprint - b&w - 7 x 10 in.
Series Title: Reference collection
Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida
, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA. Contact: 850.245.6700. [email protected]
Persistent URL: www.floridamemory.com/items/show/33468
Visit Florida Memory to see more images of Union Bank
Owner: State Library and Archives of Florida
Source: Flickr Commons